• Register Today It's free!

front wheel bearing race question

shealykt

Reaction score
City, State
Columbia, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
I have a 1999 2wd Explorer , 6 cylinder. I'm in the middle of replacing the front wheel bearings. According to the Haynes manual, the races have to be pressed into the rotors. According to the guy at the parts store that sold me the bearings, the races do not have to be pressed in. So do I get the races out myself with a flat head screw driver and a hammer and then put the new ones in by hand or do I take the rotors and new races to a shop to have them pressed in?

If they have to be pressed and you wanted to change the rotors, I suppose you would be forced to change the bearings too. Or do you take the races out of the old rotors and press them into the new rotors? I do know not to put new bearings on old races. The Haynes manual told me that too.

The races do not have to be pressed in but you will need a bearing race driver. Most parts stores loan them out (you pay a deposit and get it back when you return it) or if you have Harbor Freight close you can get a set for $25-30.

Thanks!

I will get a bearing race driver on the way home and finish the job. Let's hope the noise goes away.

Back