• Register Today It's free!

Frozen drivers door

mto879

Reaction score
City, State
North Bay
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 XLT 202A
Our 2020 Explorer drivers door lock seems frozen, it wont unlock and it has been 3 days like this. Anyone else have this yet? Hoping this isn't gong to be like my F-150:(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First I've heard someone complain about it.

Our 2020 Explorer drivers door lock seems frozen, it wont unlock and it has been 3 days like this. Anyone else have this yet? Hoping this isn't gong to be like my F-150:(
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:
There are several ways to unlock the door. Door handle, keyfob, Securicode keypad and interior lock/unlock button on driver's door. Do any of them work?
I had an intermittent issue with my previous 2017 after driving through freezing rain that left the lock/unlock on the door handle inoperative but tat cleared itself.

Peter

Started happening to our 2020 XLT as well.
The entire car will unlock except the driver door. The lock nub will not raise up. it will only open if you go in a different door and physically pull the handle. No "unlock" button will unlock the driver door.

Brought it to the dealer and it "started" working. However the lock nub is now 1/8-1/4" lower than the passenger and now it will not go up/down but the door unlocks.

this Is new as of the other day. This is locked and unlocked
12414A00-E5F2-46F8-A8AC-FD51306719BD.jpeg

C20A6C89-6FA8-4B32-A5BF-CCD553BBE91C.jpeg

Did your dealership take anything apart on that door when you had it in? Just wondering if so if they didn't reinstall some thing properly.

Did your dealership take anything apart on that door when you had it in? Just wondering if so if they didn't reinstall some thing properly.
I bet not a as the door functioned, this it better so it actually requires them to open the door. If I have to fix this I’ll send them the bill :p

I agree, they did Not fix it at the correct height, that is why is is lower.

Fit and finish on the new explorer leaves a little to be desired. My f150 had something similar happened and it ended up being the door panel wasn't seated properly so the door nub thing wasn't flush with the panel.

Mine has been in at the dealer two weeks now awaiting a new drivers door lock mechanism.

I guess Aviators will just have the light in that place.
It's just a solid window sill. No little "nub" to pop up or down.

Peter

Peter

Is there a way to lock the doors if the battery was dead? Just wondering.

Is there a way to lock the doors if the battery was dead? Just wondering.
Good question. I know there is a slot for the manual key blade in the Aviator logo on the driver's door but I've never really checked it out.

1610469061714.png

Peter

Peter

I understand there is no pop up Nub thing but I thought it will have a red light fitted within a small circular thing. Atlease that is how my 2019 Continental and Navigator were. It wasn't a bright light but once you lock the door, you can see the red lights on the doors.

I understand there is no pop up Nub thing but I thought it will have a red light fitted within a small circular thing. Atlease that is how my 2019 Continental and Navigator were. It wasn't a bright light but once you lock the door, you can see the red lights on the doors.
The Aviator has a red lock/unlock symbol displayed on the B-pillar below the Securi-code keypad. This is the visual cue that the doors are locked or unlocked.

The Aviator has a red lock/unlock symbol displayed on the B-pillar below the Securi-code keypad. This is the visual cue that the doors are locked or unlocked.

What about the inside of the car? Is there anything to indicate if the door is locked inside the car? Because the the lock symbol under the securicode will only illuminate and show when you touch the keypad area right? I am just curios as to what they changed

What about the inside of the car? Is there anything to indicate if the door is locked inside the car? Because the the lock symbol under the securicode will only illuminate and show when you touch the keypad area right? I am just curios as to what they changed
Not sure about inside the car. They automatically lock anyway and then unlock so the indicators were really unnecessary. There is an audible click as you begin to drive and click when unlocked. I had those red lights in my 2013 Lincoln and they were nice to see from the outside as I left the vehicle to ensure it was locked. Those red lights go off after a few minutes anyway so the click sound from inside let me know they were locked.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not sure about inside the car. They automatically lock anyway and then unlock so the indicators were really unnecessary. There is an audible click as you begin to drive and click when unlocked. I had those red lights in my 2013 Lincoln and they were nice to see from the outside as I left the vehicle to ensure it was locked. Those red lights go off after a few minutes anyway so the click sound from inside let me know they were locked.

Cool. Just wanted to know what they changed.

Back