Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics | Page 8 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

I just replaced the fuel filter for the second time (30k mi since last replacement) and it was much easier. Having the metal tool instead of plastic makes all the difference.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

This post was great!! I changed my fuel filter since god knows when (shame on me) and gas mileage has improved ten-folds!!!!! im so happy that this is a solution for my fuel mileage problems

Thank you for posting this Ive been looking for that dam filter for a couple of years now could never find it. I had a 89 bronco and that was easy to find. Looks like I have something to do tommorow

:thumbsup::)

have a quick question, i will be tackling this tomorrow and have a question or two.

I will be pulling the fuse so I dont get gas all over me when i de-attach filter. My question is once installed in this thread i believe it states to re prime the system. How is this exactly done? Do you simply replace fuse and cycle through the ignition turning it on and off? Any detailed info would help.

Just turn the ignition on, and it'll reprime quite quickly. Then get out and check for leaks.

great thanks and it will only take one cycle to be fully reprimed?

That's it - once the engine fires up, you're good to go.

just tried to replace mine for the first time on my 2004 4.6l and the lines would not come off ...i tried blaster to loosen any grime in the climps i tried twisting the filter to break the lines loose so the clips would release and nothing worked even the side with the clip that doesnt require the special tool would not release... so $60 for ford to do it .. guess thats what ill have to do.... i fiddled with it for 2hrs

just tried to replace mine for the first time on my 2004 4.6l and the lines would not come off ...i tried blaster to loosen any grime in the climps i tried twisting the filter to break the lines loose so the clips would release and nothing worked even the side with the clip that doesnt require the special tool would not release... so $60 for ford to do it .. guess thats what ill have to do.... i fiddled with it for 2hrs

If you don't understand how the clips work then it is near impossible to get to them to come off. I'm not sure if you understand how the clips work but try reading the following thread....maybe it'll help you out. Good luck.

CHANGING THE FUEL FILTER ON A THIRD GENERATION X

ya i know how they work .. idk why its not coming off.. but the side that has the plastic "electrical style" lock... once i release the clip on that it should just slide off?

I haven't done this procedure in quite a long time so the details easily retrieved from my memory. However, I can say that my initial writeup on the procedure is detailed. The following excerpt from my writeup addresses your question I believe.

7. The other side of the fuel filter has two in/out lines attached in a different manner than the side already discussed. The two line side uses red plastic clips to hold the couplers onto the filter connections. The clips DO NOT necessary just unclip then you go happily on your way to replacing the filter. It was this side that caused the most grief for me as I did not completely understand nor visualize how the clips work. You will want to make sure the clip is pointing toward you (down) with the red portion fully toward you. You will notice ridges on a major portion of the clip that look like they are there so your thumb doesn't slip off. This ridged area clips onto the other side of the red area. In other words, the red area is essentially two sides that clip together. The "ridged" side hinges on the side where it appears to make contact with the black plastic portion of the coupling. To unclip this you may try using enough finger force to push down on the small "no-ridged" side while pulling up on the ridged side, allowing the ridged side to hinge outward. Since my hands are too big I used a small flat head screw driver to gently "unclip" the clips. This is done by pushing the screw driver head into the area where it appears the ridged area meets the other side. By pushing into what appears to be a slotted area "in the middle of the red clip" then pulling outward on the rigged side the clip with hinge out. NOTE, you will STILL NOT be able to remove the fuel line coupling off the filter. You have to do one more thing with the red clip to make sure it isn't preventing sliding of the coupling off the filter. With the red clip "unclipped" such that the ridged area is hinged outward you need to push both sides of the red area towards the other side of the black coupler. In other words, the red clip is not molded or permanently snapped onto the black portion. It actually slides to the other side of the black plastic. If the red portion was facing down towards you when you started this proceedure then this means you need to push on both sides of the red clip (after doing the "unclipping" portion describe above) upward toward the sky to get it to slide. Just use enough finger force and it should slide. Again, make sure you have slid both the left and right half of the red clip. Now, perform the same proceedure on the other in/out line. Again, watch out for fuel drips. The filter is full of fuel and may empty on your head if you are not careful.

Went out and gave it another shot and got it off with quite the force 2 hrs to get it off and 2 mins to get it back on

Did my filter today. Too me TWO AND A HALF HOURS to get the one hose off and about 5 minutes to get the other two off. I used the metal scissor like tool, and it just wasn't grabbing the teeth right. Someone suggested using the 1/2 inch tool, but that wouldn't fit. I ended up using the 3/8 tool to get it done. I can guarantee you I will let the dealer have my money so I can never do that again. On the bright side, the Explorer seems to be running better. It's been a good while since I had it changed last.

Wow, just as others have experienced, took me 3 attempts (first 2 using the useless plastic tool), and plenty of swearing. Once I finally bought the metal tool, it still took an hour to figure out how to pop the connection. Once that was done, it was about 2 mins to replace the filter. Once you've done it once, should be a breeze next time.

I just did this on my 2004. Here is my advice, buy the kit that has all the plastic tools. Next, ALSO buy the metal pivot tool. There is a BRUTAL tolerance stack going on here and what worked for some folks will not work for others. 2 hours with the stock, then heavily modified scissors tool, no dice. 15 minutes with 2 of the plastic tools from the multi-size package and one damn good push, poof. Reinstall took 5 minutes.
If you just buy 1 of the tools, murphy is gonna rear his head and bite you.

lol I think that was my problem all along, being too gentle :D

It was funny for me. I was showing my brother my "progress" and in my best narrative voice said, "Now with 1 good push this should.....pop, fuel everywhere". The filter was so clogged that even after sitting for 24 hours with 1 side disconnected, there was still tons left in the annoying line.

Well finally got the new filter on.I bought it months ago and was going to do it myself until I read all the stories about the time and mess.So I called a local Ford dealer here in Orlando and they put it on for $25.00.It took them 20 min. and they got the gas on them instead of me.Got a chance to look at the 2012 Explorer the basic model[with no sync]a real improvement on my 03.List price was the same but no 4 wheel drive like the 03.

i changed my fuel filter took about 2 hours but i got it done lol.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did mine today, truck has 108k and I am guessing original fuel filter from all the rust on the sleeve. I was curious as to how it would look inside as the 1/4 cup of fuel that was left in the filter poured out clean. I cut the filter in half with a sawzall ( I did drain it and let it evap. overnight so no explosion worries lol). The filter was really gunked up and I'm surprised the truck ran as well as it did with the amount of black crud. Oh, I used the 3.8" scissor tool, no problems. As others stated, it ain't a fun job, just due to the fact there is zero room around the filter to work. It took me about an hour to remove and reinstall.

Back