Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics | Page 11 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter Replacement w/pics

I've got the same vehicle with the inlet connectors that don't seem to be like any other models. Flathead, were the inlets the same connector type as the outlet, just in a different housing? Is the type of fuel line tool used on the outlet the way to get them off?

I wasn't sure after reading your post if I should be looking for some other type of tool.

mine only took the tool on the single line side. THe other side had different clips that I used a flat bladed screwdriver to release. Some say they can get them apart with their hands, but I had to persuade them a little.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

For 2003 Sport 4x4

I traded a few PM's with Flathead. Based on those I went and got a second quick connect tool for the 5/16" (small inlet). I already had the 3/8" for the large inlet and outlet. Lisle Corp, 3.49 each at O'Reilly's.

On my vehicle filter access is easy, it's mounted on the inside of the main frame rail on the driver side. Using the tools the two inlet lines came right off. At first I left the filter snapped into it's holder and tried to get the outlet line off. I realized that although the outlet line is flexible it can't be compressed so pulling the line away from the filter wouldn't work. I snapped the filter out of it's holder and pulled the filter away from the line and it came right off. From start to finish took me about 1/2 hour. I feel for you guys that have it buried.

My manual stated that a little oil should be put on the new filter to help the fittings slide on easier. I figured it couldn't hurt to use oil to get them apart, so I spread some on the tools. The tools slid into place easily and the fittings came right apart.

PICT0199Large_zps8fd059c8.jpg

you are being way to kind.

30 TIMES MY FRIEND IS NOT ENOUGH. THEY SHOULD HAVE NAILS DRIVEN INTO THEIR BALLS!

If this is a government "required fitting" that would figure!

I spent the last two days and $50 worth of various "quick-Connect" tools trying to get the filter off my 03 Explorer. I would love for someone to post the name and address of the Ford Engineer who designed this connection system. I finally had to give up and have the thing towed to a shop. He called a little while ago and said the filter was bad, AND the Fuel pump AND I had boogered up the line connection so bad it has to be replaced. Personally I think he could not get the line disconnected either and he probably just cut it and is making me pay for the privilege (it was towed there at 8 am and I drove by at 1:45 and it was still on the rack) . so, Final bill for a $20 part - Towing, $50 + $365 Fuel Pump + 3 1/2 hours labor + new filter + new line connection = $950.00.
I woudl also like to know how I can verify the fuel pump was actually replaced since I have not used this shop before and I can't be sure he isn't just trying to make me pay for his frustration with the fuel filter.
What a great country we live in!!!!

Slide the tool in and it should pop off (I read that somewhere). My Arse!

I get the tool in there with a screwdriver, wrench and a prybar. It is still on there. Heck, the center of the filter is coming out!

I Can't get it off, let alone think about the other two.

The input abd return are simple (with the red clips) look in a service manual or Google how these clips work, easy!

The output was installed on these trucks by Satan! They suck! I put mine back together! Let the garage do it!

Thanks for this. I just replaced mine at 171000 miles for the first time. Needless to say im not sure how fuel was even getting through it. does seem to idle better now.

151k and I'd be pretty sure it was original. Pulled the fuse and ran the engine until it died, but still got a gasoline bath. Dealing with those clips is probably not so bad on a lift, but lying on your back without good range of motion is a real PITA.

It's hard to find how-to information on the 2005 explorer sport tracs. Fuse diagram different, locations of parts different. A lot is different from an 05 and the rest of the first gens. Can anyone help me out on a how-to for the 2005 with a 4.0l?

Pic uploading

How were u able to put your pics up? Did u copy and paste them in the message body?

Hello,

I'm a little confused by some of the info on this thread (it's not you guys, it's me. :) ).

I have an '03 Mountaineer with the 4.0 flex fuel engine (3 ports on the old fuel filter).
Some flex fuel guys mentioned using a FG-1036 filter, but it's a two-port (one in, one out) filter, no?

What would be the correct Motorcraft part number for an '03 V6 with 3 ports? I've seen FG-1036 mentioned generically, but every website application guide I've tried says that this isn't correct for the vehicle.

Any help is appreciated!

All the info on changing the filter was very helpful. I have just a couple things that helped me have no trouble doing this. First thing I did after reading about everyones trouble with the spring lock connection was to spray it with PB Plaster and wait a week and I used the blue colored plastic tool from the Leslie set and the line came right off. The metal one I have just wouldn't work.

Thank you very much! This was a great walkthrough! :)

Hello,

I'm a little confused by some of the info on this thread (it's not you guys, it's me. :) ).

I have an '03 Mountaineer with the 4.0 flex fuel engine (3 ports on the old fuel filter).
Some flex fuel guys mentioned using a FG-1036 filter, but it's a two-port (one in, one out) filter, no?

What would be the correct Motorcraft part number for an '03 V6 with 3 ports? I've seen FG-1036 mentioned generically, but every website application guide I've tried says that this isn't correct for the vehicle.

Any help is appreciated!

That is the filter I used for my '02 4.0 flex fuel (Motorcraft FG1036 Fuel Filter).

On behalf of everyone who posted so far and the poor SOB's that follow because they tried to service this beotch themselves....if I ever meet the Ford engineer that designed these clips I'm gonna take a baseball bat to him. Since I live near Dearborn I'm hoping that opportunity presents itself real soon!

Thanks for all the good advice in this post.

Can't get it off

The last two Saturdays I've tried to get that damn connector off and I can't do it.
I have both the metal fuel line disconnect tool and the metal low profile fuel filter disconnect set. I have even filed the edges of the disconnect tool - still can't get it off. I've tried spraying oil on the spring to maybe loosen it up. I've had a small pry bar to add some torque to the tool, the middle of the filter is even beginning to be pulled out - it still won't budge. Any ideas before I take it to Pep Boys?

The last two Saturdays I've tried to get that damn connector off and I can't do it.
I have both the metal fuel line disconnect tool and the metal low profile fuel filter disconnect set. I have even filed the edges of the disconnect tool - still can't get it off. I've tried spraying oil on the spring to maybe loosen it up. I've had a small pry bar to add some torque to the tool, the middle of the filter is even beginning to be pulled out - it still won't budge. Any ideas before I take it to Pep Boys?

Its a PITA isnt it? It took me probably an hour of cursing at it to finally get it. You have to push the connector back towards the filter as far as possible. THEN slide the tool in and while keeping pressure on the tool, slide the connector off.. I used a big wrench behind the tool to help keep it pushed in there, because if it slides back even a little bit, I found it won't come apart. I ended up wrapping my arm around the frame to hold the filter/tool/wrench. Which may not work for a guy. Ive decided I absolutely hate the fuel filter. I would rather change the struts again..

I did mine. thanks for tips. One thing that helped me (I was using scissor type tool) was to put a little box wrench behind the tool, between the filter and tool... to really get the tool in there good.

Just removed the fuel lines from the fuel filter and fuel pump on a 98 Explorer using the tools and skills I acquired utilizing this post several years ago. Good stuff.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Want to say thanks to the OP and everyone who posted their experience on this job.

I did this today. I thought I was going to have trouble with the red connector but that only took about 10 minutes but with the Ford tool on the other side holy crap! What a major pain. I eventually shoved that tool down as far as I could and then I wedged a flathead screwdriver between the filter and against the tool for leverage and then I was able to work the fuel line off. Quick disconnect my butt!

Anyway I feel about 10 feet tall right now. Never changed a fuel filter in my life and it feels good. The black stuff that came out made me kind of ashamed that I didn't do it earlier.

Back