Fuel Filter to Fuel Line clips broke :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter to Fuel Line clips broke :(

WizardOfOdds

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer
I'm just beggining to get into mechanics so sorry if this might be a stupid question. I just put in a new fuel filter for my 1992 Explorer. I had a hell of a time getting the thing off, I ended up having to pry it off with a flathead screwdriver. So everything was ok, then I THOUGHT I had the lines connected to the filter properly so I started the car and go flooded by gas from where the filter connects to the line that goes to the fuel rail (The line that goes from the gas tank to filter does not leak). So ok, I tried to push the filter into the line again and it wasn't clipping in (I guess it didn't the first time either eh? haha). I think I broke clip part inside the line, that's what my auto teacher said but he can't check it out cause he has a bad knee and won't get down under a car that's on jacks. Anyways my question is, is it possible to just buy a new clip to go inside the line, or do I have to put a new connector for the line that connects the line and filter, or do I have to buy a whole new line? He pretty much said he doesn't know, I may have to do any of the three (Hes not too smart anyways which is why I thought I'd ask you guys :)). By the way, they're the flexible steel lines (I think steel atleast) and I don't know if that'd make a difference or not. Thanks for the help in advance :):roll:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

New clips, they cost about $3-4 at any local parts store, easy to install and will hopefully unlock right the next time.

Thanks :) I'll go to partsource or something later tonight... I love the quick replies :) this forum is great

P.S. Does anybody know exactly what the part name for the clip is? Or should I just tell them the clip where the fuel line connects to the fuel filter? Thanks.

P.S.S. :p I checked out partsource and canadian tire today. None of them have what I need, I don't even think they knew what I was talking about! Its not the white clips that come with the filter (Btw, what are those used for? Looks like they are for rubber lines and not steel, it's like a braided steel line)... The clip I'm looking for is like a metal small clip, sort of looks like a crown nut. Thanks :roll:

Luckily I still have a couple and the packaging
They are Dorman brand Ford 10.5mm Retaining clips, part # 800-007.
These are off the shelf at Oriellys, but should be everywhere.
Hope this helps! And yes these are the inner metal clips.

thanks! That is EXACTLY what im looking for! Ill look into it tommorow... Thanks so much, I was getting a bit anxious about nobody knowing what I was talking about at the stores lol :):roll:

Next time there are little plastic tools that you use to get your fuel lines off without breaking them could be what your fuel filter came with. They're a couple round bits of plastic that slip into the connector and let you unlock the clip. Sorry if that doesn't make sense, they're kind of tough to describe.

Im not sure but the filter did come with 2 clips... White clips, thinking of it now your probably right... If I remember correctly, they are U-Shaped and have a circle at the bottom... Kind of hard to explain : P They probably are what your talkin about, my auto teacher just kind of pushed them to the side and didn't say anything about them. I can't find a picture of them to show you... You're probably right tho! I'll remember next time. Im learning lots from you guys thanks :)

No problem, life is a pain when you cant find the right parts. MAKE SURE you go buy a ford fuel line disconnect tool before ever prying another off, you are real lucky not to have broken the coupler body, they are cheap, less than 5 bucks around here. Get a metal one, plastic ones suck.

Definitely use the correct tool. Do a search on this site, there are pictures of how to do this correctly.

Give the screwdriver to your teacher. That way, you can be sure it will stay far away from the filter, and you won't use it again for this job... :)

So tonight I went to partsource with all the info Darrman gave me and they told me they don't sell them and I'd have to buy the whole fuel line... Also, the guy said he wouldn't know of a place that would sell them... Im going to search again tommorow, I don't want to spend money if I don't have to lol... It'll probably be one of the small shops like John's Auto Parts that'd have it... I'd place money on it, go figure lol

Sounds like he doesnt need to be working at a parts store. I get the same stupid answers at the local Autozone, absolutly useless people work there.
What other chain stores do you have in your area? You may end up having to order some from online somewhere.

The only other major parts place around here is Canadian Tire... I went there, and I have a buddy that works there (Who had no clue what I was talking about BTW lol) and he said they don't/won't carry that, they don't even sell fuel lines there, and if you live in the states and don't know about Canadian Tire its a HUGE store. I was surprised at the fact they didn't have it. There is a strip mall around here that has like 5 small auto parts stores in it. I'll check them out tommorow hopefully, only problem is that they don't stay open that late. Oh well, I was thinking about ordering the parts online? Does anyone know where a site where I might be able to do that? Such choas over such a small part! LOL... Thanks for all the help. I appreciate it more than you probably think : P:navajo:

FWIW, There are two sizes on the fuel pump connectors, the 10mm are Dorman 800-007 and the 13mm are 800-008. I got mine at O'reilly also.
If you can't find them drop me a line and I'll send some to you.

Wizard, go to one of the small parts shops that have a garage attached, then if the parts counter person doesn't know what you're talking about the mechanic will. That's what I did when I lived in New Brunswick, Canada a while back. :)

Heh Thanks... I went to a small parts place and got a part... I dont know if its the right one or not, the guy gave me a plastic clip instead of the metal one that Darrman showed. Umm... he said it should work but I don't know if he knew what he was talking about because I had to talk to him for like 15 min explaining what the part was (I lost the original clip)... I asked "So, I just put this in the fuel line and clip the filter right in, and that's it" and he said "I don't know, you're the one working on it." I just nodded my head and left, if it doesn't work its a lose of like 50 cents. Meh

Ok so I tried putting in the new retaining clip and found that it was too big (or I think it is) I couldn't fit it into the fuel line so Im assuming it is too big lol...

this is the picture of the clip that I bought
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3249/3102nmf2.jpg]

I also got these 2 clips with the fuel filter... I didnt know they were retaining clips until I looked it up on the internet... I showed my teacher them when I opened the box with the new filter and he sort of just discarded them and didn't say anything about them (so being stupid I figured they weren't important)... Can I use these clips instead of buying new ones? And how do I use them? (sry if this seems like a dumb question)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok so I tried putting in the new retaining clip and found that it was too big (or I think it is) I couldn't fit it into the fuel line so Im assuming it is too big lol...

this is the picture of the clip that I bought
[img=http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/3249/3102nmf2.jpg]

I also got these 2 clips with the fuel filter... I didnt know they were retaining clips until I looked it up on the internet... I showed my teacher them when I opened the box with the new filter and he sort of just discarded them and didn't say anything about them (so being stupid I figured they weren't important)... Can I use these clips instead of buying new ones? And how do I use them? (sry if this seems like a dumb question)
http://img233.imageshack.us/my.php?image=3105qm8.jpg

hmmm... the images arent working for some stupid reason... anyways, if you go here http://www.cgenterprises.com/fuelfilters/fuel_injection_hose_.htm you will see the clips... scroll down about half the page where it says Fuel Line Retaining Clips and part #FI3102 is the first clip I got (the one I was saying didnt fit) and part #FI3105 is the ones that came with the filter (however mine are white and I dont know if it makes a difference or not)

P.S. is 3/8 the right size for the fuel line?

Back