fuel filter

adam714

Reaction score
City, State
Monroe Twp. NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 Sport XLT
at what mileage should the fuel filter be changed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No greater than every 30K. Some do it every 15K

brought my 2003 sport xlt in for it's second oil change(a little over 8k) and they're telling me i need a fuel filter.?

Start changing your own oil :p But yeah, the filter should be fine they're prob just trying to get more money out of you.

All my vehicles have gone over 100K before the filter was changed.

Ford doesn't even mention the fuel filter in the maintenance section of the owners manual. To be safe, I change mine every time I do the tranny fluid - about every 30k.

If the dealer is pushy on the filter, ask them to show you the required maintenance interval in the owners manual. That usually quiets them up quick.

Its supposed to never need changing...

I agree :) mine is 280,000km original filter. If it ain't broke, leave it alone.

My owners manual states to change the fuel filter every 60K miles.

thosse who have never changed the filter - how is your performance and cranking time? ill bet if you replace it, youll notice a difference. esp after 280k kilos!

well, I don't really notice any performance different. But now that you mention about the cranking time, I am not sure, it takes a few turn over before she would fire up. It was like this as long as I can remember.
I should get off my lazy back and go get the release tool to change it and see if that would make any different on the cranking time.

If you do not change your fuel filter on a regular basis, 30 to 50,000-miles, then there is a greater chance that you will break down and be left stranded. The repair bill may include a new fuel pump $$$. You decide which is the best option, regular maintenance, or a good pair of shoes and a thin wallet.

When Ford changed all engines over to EFI in the mid/late 80's, I read a reference in a Ranger shop manual that stated to change the fuel filter when there is fuel starvation. That's a very vague statement.

But if you compare the size of the fuel filters today to those pre EFI, then I think it should be safe to say change every couple years or so.

So change it when its convenient for you, not when someone else wants to pocket the money for the service.

BTW, the first gen X's are the worst pita when changing fuel filters.

I just changed the fuel filter on my 91 a couple days ago.... that "tool" they say you need......I got mine off without the tool. I bought the tool but it didnt fit anywhere. It might help. But its harder to find a space big enough for the tool to fit in.. Just twist and pull :)

Shane

I changed mine at 100,000km as a preventative maintenance thing. I work on the principle that it's better to change these types of things before they give you trouble. I agree on the principle of "if it ain"t broke, leave it alone", but on an item that is cheap and easy to replace, why not change it? If you do decide to do it, you WILL need a special tool to release the fuel lines. It is impossible to get them off without the tool. Believe me I tried and tried. After obtaining the tool, they came off in 2 seconds!

Can anyone help me to locate my fuel filter on my 2003 xlt with the 4.6 liter v-8??
Chiltons hasn't published a book on the 2002-2003 explorer yet and I don't think that it would be anywhere close to the 2001 and earlier models. Thank you in advance for you help.

andy -
try the inside frame rail on the drivers side. this will require you to jack your car up to fit under there(please use jackstands NOT just the jack) a safe way to find it is to find the gas tank(pretty easy to spot) then look for the fuel line exiting the tank. just follow it until u see a cylindrical device inline with the fuel line. (on my first gen the fuel lines connected to either side of the filter were also labeled "Filter")

n2mud - first gens arent that bad. the trick is to remove the bracket it is mounted to, then slide the bracket back(it wouldve been a huge PITA to release the hose clamp that holds the filter to the bracket) then u can fit your fuel tools in there to get the lines off. three words of caution:

1)Release the pressure on the fuel line BEFORE getting under the truck!!! The system can be depressurized by locating the schraeder valve on the intake manifold(on my first gen, it was on the pass side next to the coil pack) and u can depress the valve with a screwdrive(small torx bits - like a T5 work great!) gas will spray out, but it wont damage anything(except maybe the finish on the floor in your garage) which brings me to my next point

2)Always use protection. Wear goggles especially if you forget to relieve the fuel system, u dont want gasoline sprayed at high pressure into your eyes. Put a tarp on the floor under your truck to catch excess fuel, and have an empty pan nearby so when u remove the filter, u can drain the extra fuel into the pan instead of the ground(i wouldnt reuse this fuel since, at least on mine which had a real old filter, it was yellow and crap was floating around in it)
3)WEAR GOGGLES!!! I know I said it before, but goggles are not an option on this task, they are NECCASARY!!!! Not only are you working with fuel with u dont want sprayed into your eyes, but the underside of the car not only has large amounts of road dirt on it, but is very likely covered with large amounts of rust (ESP in a first gen in the northern parts of the states) I have found that whatever I touch on my undercarraige, rust will flake off and due to gravity, always fall right into my face. Not fun if you arent wearing goggles.

My Haynes manual says the fuel filter was designed to last the life of the car and doesnt need changed unless there are problems.

I do mine before 15K, I don't want problems because of a neglected $8 part replacement. And some of that gas in the far NW might have been sitting through the winter since the demand is very low after mid-Oct; it would tend to have more impurities. Also, I would think that the more restrictive the filter becomes the more stress is placed on the fuel pump.

Plus replacing it gives me a chance to look around at other things that might be needing attention underneath. It's a habit

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i'd say every 60-70 k , just to be on the safe side.

Back