• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter

anna

Reaction score
City, State
Coats, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
Umm..could someone help me out, please? I'm a bit of a do-it-urselfer, but I got a problem I can't find to fix, got some bad gas from a station and i need to replace the fuel filter, problem is, I can't find the stinking thing...any help? :confused:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

driverside framerail near the front door

I found mine, bought the tool, and jimmied the thing around for an hour but it never came off! Any tips?

Yes..frame rail near driver side door. Easier if you jack up your X. There are clips which hold the fuel hoses to filter. Remove those first. Probably small flat blade screwdriver will work. Removal tool I bought from Pep Boys works well. It is not plastic but metal...There are two different sizes on tool. I used smallest to pull hose off the filter. Be sure you FIRST relieve the fuel pressure though. I had to find inertia switch on my '99 (located on passenger side outside floorboard. Removed plastic panel where right foot would be. Crank and run the engine until it dies.) Be careful when removing filter because it WILL spit out fuel. Keep you face well away from it. Installation is reverse. Push in hose into filter ends and install clips. Reset your inertia switch, reassemble panels. Done.

karl_burns said:
I found mine, bought the tool, and jimmied the thing around for an hour but it never came off! Any tips?
You need to check out the Fuel filter Removal Thread... Lots of info and pics on how/why to use the fuel line disconnect tools.

I swear I searched! Is that "Sticky"d?
Great thread TAS98.
Thanks for the pics too.
And thanks DeRocha for pointing it out!
I just wasn't pushing far enough.....
Karl

karl_burns said:
I swear I searched! Is that "Sticky"d?
Great thread TAS98.
Thanks for the pics too.
And thanks DeRocha for pointing it out!
I just wasn't pushing far enough.....
Karl

Glad to lend a hand...A problem I find with EF is that info is not organized in a catagorical system.. As such searching can be hit or miss or rather too many hits and too many posts to search through to find the diamond among the numerous posts... I have often toyed with taking the time to research various topics and creating an universal index thread with all the good info and none of the fluff...

Me too! (obviously)
It took me forever to find that tire/wheel fit guide post last night.
I also hate it when some people post pictures of the "search" bar... especially to newbies.
Thanks again.
Sorry for hijacking your thread anna.
Karl

karl_burns said:

I have found that on my current truck, it likes the PLASTIC fuel filter removal tools. I guess the plastic "gives" a little more than the metal. My nice metal fuel filter removal tool won't work, but the plastic works right away.

Back