Stuck Fuel Filter | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Stuck Fuel Filter

Fig_Newton

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Ford Explorer Sport, i have bought a new fuel filter and i have the special tool that is needed to take the old fuel filter off. I have taken off the line that leads from the gas tank to the fuel filter, that comes off with no problem at all. But the line that leads to the engine i cant get it off. I have tried and so has my uncle and we cant get it off the fuel filter. I get so mad with it that i just want to rip it off and saw it off and just put some rubber tube and clamp the ends off. But i dont know if the emissions test will pass if i do that. I need some help. :mad:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I had the same problem on my 92.
When you push the tool into the end of the line, push the filter too.
it also helps if you twist a little on the filter while you push to help the tool unhook the internal clip.

-Scott

Idle Problem

I read on-line that my problem might also have to do with my PCV Valve. Could that play a part in my situation? If the Valve is stuckclosed then the car wouldnt be able to idle correctly right? help me out here guys please.:D

wait, so what is it doing now?
and did you finish the fuel filter?

If it's the same kind as on my 91, I had the same problem. I ended up taking out the internal spring retaining clip with a jewelers screwdiver and needle nose pliers. Even after removing the spring the connector was still stuck and required a fair amount of pulling to disassemble. The spring retaining clip can be had from the auto stores. Resist the urge to tear it apart, the hoses are expensive and I wouldn't recomend a rubber replacement.

Fuel Filter

No i havent had a chance to go out and fix my fuel filter yet. But i think that it is more than just my fuel filter. The Tranny feels like it is hestitating when it shifts from 2nd to 3rd , and the 3rd to 4th. My friend said that my pcv Valve might have something to with the problem. But i cant my pcv valve, he gave a guess of where it might be. But i cant find it, i need some help finding my pcv valve. I read that someone else had idle problems and it was their pcv valve, it happened to be stuck closed. Would anyone happen to know where my second fuel filter is? I know that it is up beside the engine. Im jst about to take my explorer to a field and JUST BLOW THE THING UP AND BE DONE WITH IT.:mad:

What second fuel filter?

Second Filter

There Should be a second fuel filter, It should be up near the engine. ALMOST every car has two filters in them. But Ford might be different im not sure.:confused:

When I was replacing the fuel filter, I used the folding metal "X" filter tool with two sizes. After trying to loosen the front fitting with the same end that worked so well for the rear, I tried the other end of the tool, and presto..it worked.

Back