• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Filter

Stuman78424

Reaction score
City, State
Wetumpka, Alabama
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Explorer Sport
Ideas...comments....suggestions......ive got the clips off of each side of the fuel filter and still cannot get the lines to come off any ideas?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No luck with that blue plastic tool

FUEL FILTER REMOVAL

I had no luck getting mine off the normal way. So in a fit of rage, I cut the upper and lower sections of the filter with a pair of heavy duty snips (eliminating the bulky middle section), then flatted the skinny pieces stuck in the clip with some vice grips.
With one hand on the vice grips and the other hand using a very small eyeglass type flat screwdriver, I pushed each clip on the inside while gently pulling on the vice grips and......TADA, it came out. I went from :fire: to :D

It took me damn near 5 hours to change a fuel filter, wow. Included in that time was a 1 hour break to let the blood pressure simmer down.

you can buy the $3 tool at any of the parts stores, those little $3 pieces of plastic really work.....

I agree. The PLASTIC cheapo ring tools work, whereas the METAL tools do not.

subscribing, good info!

Rhett said:
I agree. The PLASTIC cheapo ring tools work, whereas the METAL tools do not.

i have used the anodized aluminum nice tools, and they worked way better than the plastic ones, however they were borrowed, as i couldnt justify spending $20 on a tool i would use once every few years

There is a tool that could be used that is normally used on P/S pumps to remove the lower hose. It looks like 2 "V" shaped ends that expand when you squeeze the handle. The area that holds the hose goes into the center of the "V".

The plastic tool works best for me
I must say though, for one of the most easy sounding jobs, this one has discouraged quite a few people
You go out whistling, gonna change my fuel filter grab a beer and watch the game

2 hrs later your looking it up on the internet
I think it is what brought me here as a matter of fact

I tried the plastic fuel line tool and it was a pain in the arse. The plastic is just to thin (at least on the one I got) too push the clips back far enough to free the line. Here is what I did to fix the problem. AND it came off in a blink of an eye. Mind you I spent at least an hour before that not understanding why the damn tool didn't work

Attachments

• Image005.jpg
    Image005.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 18,546
  • Image006.jpg
    Image006.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 17,961
  • Image007.jpg
    Image007.jpg
    35.2 KB · Views: 19,703

LOL actually it was the inside of the pump from my daughters large baby pink lotion bottle. Its the part the is in the bottle. All I had to do was cut it to length, becuase it slid right over the tool.

yes it goes into the bottle about 2-3 inches with spring and check balls in it. then the clear tub goes into that.

there are different sizes of the tool you know..... the kit from matco or whoever has about 5 different sizes

The other sizes did not fit at all. The blue tool 3/8 was the right size, but just seemed poor manufacturing and I had to improvise.

trucku said:
LOL actually it was the inside of the pump from my daughters large baby pink lotion bottle. Its the part the is in the bottle. All I had to do was cut it to length, becuase it slid right over the tool.

Nice work thinking out side of the box... :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

DeRocha said:
Nice work thinking out side of the box... :thumbsup:

jtsmith said:
Very good
Your investment in time will benefit others in the future

Thank you :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Back