Fuel gauge not working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel gauge not working

RustyBlue05

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Ford Explorer Xlt
Filled up my 2005 XLT yesterday and now the fuel gauge drops below empty and the message center reads "--- MILES TO E" when I turn the key on. I tried disconnecting the battery and cleaning the terminals with some CRC stuff because there was a bit of corrosion, Reconnected the battery, and turned the key on, gauge came up a bit and it read "8 miles to e" for about 5 seconds then went back down below empty and read "--- miles to e" again. If anybody has info on this or can point me in the direction of a thread that does I would greatly appreciate it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are gremlins in the fuel level circuit of these trucks. Occasionally after a fillup the needle will read empty or near-empty on mine, then slowly crawl up over the next day or two. Assuming you have a good PCM, its either the sending unit or the wiring. You can buy the sending unit only for either $100 or $130 plus ship from RockAuto, but its a big job to replace. 2005 FORD EXPLORER 4.0L V6 Fuel Sending Unit | RockAuto. Or you could buy the whole pump assembly for not much more (recommend Delphi brand based on experience).

It's probably the sending unit. Mine is bad. It reads full at fill-up, and when it drops to about 7/8, the gauge reads empty. It comes back up at 3/4. It also sets the check engine light. For state inspection, I don't go past 1/2 a tank for a few weeks and the light goes out. It's a minor annoyance, but doesn't affect anything else. One of these days I'll get a replacement pump and sender and drop the tank and fix it.

I cut a hole in the floor behind the passenger seat to replace mine w/o dropping the tank. Not too bad.

Mine did that too. Turned out for me, that the gas I was using did not have the detergents in it that Chevron and other gases have. I had been filling up at convenience stores etc..
When I started going to Chevron again, the problem went away.
Also wouldn't hurt to run a bottle of Sea Foam through your gas tank.
In my case, the fuel sending unit in the tank was varnished up with crud from less quality gas.
I am original owner of a 2003 Explorer and have the original sending unit in gas tank.

Back