2005 Explorer Fuel Gauge | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 Explorer Fuel Gauge

steve515

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Hello...

Yesterday, i fueled up my explorer. When i got done, i looked at my message center and it said "348 miles to E".

Several hours later, i got in it and drove to town. I noticed that my fuel gauge was BELOW the E. And the message center said "--- Miles to E". I have about 48k on this vehical.

Does anyone have any recommendations for me to try?

I really want to avoid going to a dealership.

thank you

steve

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Seems like a fuel gauge sending unit if you go to dealer probably a couple of hundred to fix no clue how much if you do it yourself though

Same happened to me.

You can replace the entire fuel pump, or just the sending unit. I replaced the whole fuel pump, as it was only about $60 difference between parts.

Auto Zone-$170.00 for fuel pump

Labor-$500

Total cost-$670.00

I only had 32,000 on my 2005 X.

I did some looking around yesterday. Found at autozone and some other parts places, that i could get the whole pump sending assembly for about $270.

I drove it last night and BAM! Gauge started working and message center said "273 Miles To E". I put around 100 miles on it after my refuel when the gauge started working.

Could the float unit get hung up or something?

Thank you.

I forgot to mention I received 30% off the entire fuel pump when I purchased it, which was during the July 4th weekend.

My fuel gauge did the same thing as well. It would work, then not work, then work again. Now, I did have a code error, which had my "service engine soon" light continually on, even if the fuel gauge was working. I went to Auto Zone who diagnosed it for free, which came back to the fuel sending unit.

Side note, make sure you inspect the new fuel pump when you get it. Mine appeared to be ok, however, the dial which goes up and down showing how much fuel is in the tank was broken, a piece broke off. If I had not found it, I bet no one would have, so just take a look at it.

I also had a Ford Stealership do the install. It was about the same everywhere I went. Good luck.

Advance Auto Parts Fuel Pump:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...irtex_20771380-P_52_R|GRPFUE2AMS_514448693___

Back