Fuel injector cleaning questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel injector cleaning questions

PdGreen

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
Hey all, I have an 01 sport Trac with 220K that's still going strong (or as strong as can be hoped for at 220k, perhaps). So I was hoping to get some tips on cleaning my injectors. I was going to buy the tools to do it myself. Not just the bottles that you put in the gas tank, but the regulated hopper that you plug straight into the fuel line. I want to do this because the truck has idled a little roughly for the last few months and in the last few weeks I have heard a strange whistle that sounded like a radio frequency. I finally noticed that when I barely push the gas pedal that the frequency changes pitch. So, I was trying to figure out what it could be, and I googled something like "strange gas pedal whistle". Anyway, someone suggested a clogged fuel injector, so, here I am.

Anybody have a preferred brand of tools? Or is it worth the effort at all? I saw an otc for about 150 but I'm going to call a mechanic to see if it's just going to be cheaper to go to him instead..

Thanks

I don't know about cleaning your fuel injectors. Guess it couldn't hurt, but I'm wondering if you've ever cleaned/replaced your IAC valve? They can make noises and effect the idle. Perhaps you should also clean your throttle body.

I also have an '01 ST that makes a high pitched radio frequency noise that I can hear when I get out to close my gate at night. I can't figure out where the noise comes from, but it's definitely comes from the front of vehicle. My idle is fine.

When's the last time your spark plugs and plug wires were changed? There are many things that can cause a rough idle.

Back