Fuel Injector cleaning | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Injector cleaning

ptf18

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac
Any idea how much work is involved to remove the F.I. on the 4.0l v6 engine in the S/T (2002)?

Im "tempted" to pull the ones in the wife's S/T to clean them as they have about 230k on them. I had her run 3 cans of BG400 fuel system cleaner thru the gasoline ( she put in 1 can per fillup... 3x) but Im not "convinced" that this miracle fuel cleaner stuff does anything. Along time ago I worked on diesel engines. The ONLY way to check those injectors were to remove them and mechanically clean, inspect and test them prior to reinstalling them

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Its no quick job to clean the injectors but they can be taken out and cleaned if you have a day to commit. If you are going thru the trouble of taking them out I would just replace them at that point. Ive found them for 60-80$ online for a set. Ive been putting off doing mine for a year now and its time. I would also go ahead and do the intake gaskets if your going that far.

At your mileage if you're concerned about the condition of you fuel injectors I'd just replace them rather than trying to clean them.

You can get rebuilt, tested and flow matched injector sets on Ebay for cheap!!
If you want to remove and clean/bench test yours you can do that too
Either way plan to replace your injector O rings, Intake plenum gaskets (upper and lower O rings) as well as the EGR O ring at the same time.

Note: A 2002 ST Job 2 SOHC V6 does not have upper and lower intake gasket's/O-rings. There's just one set of thicker O-ring seals under the one-piece intake.

I've had mine off and while it's not a huge job to remove the intake you will need to disconnect ad remove a bunch of stuff that's in the way. Also, you will probably be shocked at how much oil you'll find in the bottom of the plenum, especially on an engine with 230,000 miles on it.

To remove the fuel injectors you'll need to disconnect the fuel line from the FI rails, unbolt the fuel rails and pull the fuel injectors. You will want to replace the FI O-rings. Note: Be very careful not to damage the O-ring seal of the fuel line to the fuel rail, as this stupid little O-ring is not available separately from Ford (ask me how I know) and Ford wanted over $240 to replace the forward fuel line. Luckily I found a work-around when I damaged my O-ring. Always use Vaseline on O-rings during reassembly to prevent damage.

Also, if you haven't done it already, this would be the time to replace the valve cover gaskets and PCV valve. The heated PCV valve screws/twists into the rear of the driver's side valve cover (twist counter clockwise to remove).

@ptf18 - If you're considering doing all this to try to increase your fuel economy I think you're wasting your time and money.

Helpful post! Nice

So SOHC V6 intakes go like this:
97-02 two piece upper plenum, 02-03 one piece upper plenum, 04+ they changed the shape completely, still one piece but better thermostat housing and you can get to drivers timing tensioner without removing plenum
Is that about right?

<---------------------------------- learn something every day

Helpful post! Nice

So SOHC V6 intakes go like this:
97-02 two piece upper plenum, 02-03 one piece upper plenum, 04+ they changed the shape completely, still one piece but better thermostat housing and you can get to drivers timing tensioner without removing plenum
Is that about right?

<---------------------------------- learn something every day

My very late production '01 ST has the Job 2 engine with the one piece plenum. BTW - My one piece plenum was attached to the engine/heads with only 4 bolts (though there were still 6 threaded holes in the heads) but I had to buy a special set of sockets to get the bolts out because my 3/8's sockets were to fat to fit through the holes in the plastic plenum to reach the bolts. I don't recall whether the bolts were hex head, Torx or Allen but I did find a set of sockets at Tractor Supply that were just what I needed.

Screenshot_2019-02-08-07-26-44.png
Where fuel injector goes into cylinder head there is a type of plastic adapter, you should replace all 6 as they are probably cracked.

@ptf18 - If you're considering doing all this to try to increase your fuel economy I think you're wasting your time and money.[/QUOTE]

Ahhhh Koda2000.... you caught me. I WAS thinking that perhaps the F.I.s may be "effecting" the MPG the wife is getting with the S/T.

I'll leave well enough alone. She's run 3 cans of the "miracle" fuel system cleaner thru about 50-60 gallons of fuel and has mentioned that her mpg hasn't noticeably improved.

I suppose Im just dreaming about getting 20ish mpg out of her ol' S/T.

Depending on driving conditions and temperature, I usually see 14-18 MPG.

If those intake gaskets/orings haven't been done then it's way past time for them!
Do you have or had a miss (rough running engine) before the fuel injector cleaner?
What kind of tires (brand/all season or what tread design) that will make a big difference in mpg also!
Can't remember is yours 2 wheel or 4 wheel drive?

oklagp1200r. Thanks for your input. The motor was replaced at 134k due to the tensioners failing (FoMoCo rebuilt engine) so I "assume" the intake seals were new then. The engine runs fine. No misses, hesitation, etc. Tires are the standard size/design that I check pressure on every 2-3 weeks. The S/T is a 2WD.

I guess I'm just dreaming of getting better MPG then I (she) does. I've heard that the EPA is going to allow (I think mandated by Congress) to dump more ethanol (15%) into our gasoline. So I'm certain we will see MPG go down, more pollution of all sorts and of course more $$$ for big AG.

I have a screaming demon coil and a green filter on my air intake (similar to K and N but material made out of cotton) and run Michelin all season tires on my 4x4 2001 ST. I use products strictly from BND Automotive (fuel supplement, coolant, oils, greases, transmission fluid, transfer case etc.
I have gotten 20mpg out of mine on a highway trip BUT only ran 60mph hoping no one rear ended me!!!! LOL When the wife use to drive the ST as a daily driver combined highway/city was always 15 to 16mpg.
Yes ethanol kills fuel mileage as well as winter grade blended fuel. 15% ethanol fuel will be a small engine killer (lawnmower, weed wacker, chainsaw etc.)
Go over to your thread about removing the front grill piece to paint it and give me some instructions please!

Sorry PFT18 you weren't the one with the grill thread!

Back