• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Line Question

rvnknight

Reaction score
City, State
Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I'm not sure if this has been asked yet or not (I haven't found a thread here or an answer online yet), but I am wondering if I can replace my metal fuel line with a rubber fuel injection line.

Background on the vehicle:
I purchased a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport at an auction in October last year (2014) and at the time the only issue was with the brakes. After we fixed the brakes, my mechanic and I found that it would no longer start and have narrowed the issue down to the fuel pump. While I was under the vehicle I found that the fuel lines were starting to rust and that the fuel filter clamps were rusted closed as well.

Which brings up the question from above: Can I safely replace my metal fuel line with a rubber hose which was designed for fuel injection fuel vehicles? My mechanic and several buddies who work on vehicles will not give me a straight answer.

Here is the link to the hose I have, I believe it is rated up to 100 PSI. I would assume since the 2000 Explorer Sport has a rating of 30-65 PSI that this hose would be fine to use, but I want to know from anyone who has done this before.

Thanks in advance

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have rubber fuel injection hose from my pump into line. Then from fuel filter is rubber to metal line in engine bay. So yes. Use 2 fuel injection hose clamps at every point that rubber hose is connected to something

Awesome! Out of curiosity, how long have you had the line in place and have you had any issues with it?

Injection Hose

You must be ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that the hose you use is marked "SAE 70-R9", not 70-R7. R9 is specifically made for the high pressure usage of fuel injection.

R7 is marked "Fuel and Evaporative Emissions", but is not strong enough for pressure use.

It is safe to use hose, as long as it is routed away from extreme heat, like exhaust pipes. Use double clamps, on BARBED fittings. imp

I don't know how many years. at least 2 or 3 and yes one time it did come off from fuel pump connection. Maybe I didn't tighten it down enough, or had enough hose on, I don't know. But that happened way over a year ago. No problems. Yeah if you go to parts store and get a new line most of the time they will say cheap fuel injection line or expensive...get the expensive

If you decide to do this...

I'm not sure if this has been asked yet or not (I haven't found a thread here or an answer online yet), but I am wondering if I can replace my metal fuel line with a rubber fuel injection line.

Background on the vehicle:
I purchased a 2000 Ford Explorer Sport at an auction in October last year (2014) and at the time the only issue was with the brakes. After we fixed the brakes, my mechanic and I found that it would no longer start and have narrowed the issue down to the fuel pump. While I was under the vehicle I found that the fuel lines were starting to rust and that the fuel filter clamps were rusted closed as well.

Which brings up the question from above: Can I safely replace my metal fuel line with a rubber hose which was designed for fuel injection fuel vehicles? My mechanic and several buddies who work on vehicles will not give me a straight answer.
Here is the link to the hose I have, I believe it is rated up to 100 PSI. I would assume since the 2000 Explorer Sport has a rating of 30-65 PSI that this hose would be fine to use, but I want to know from anyone who has done this before.

Thanks in advance

If you want to use rubber hosing I would recommend using Gates FI hose that is rated at 225 burst pressure and 150 working pressure...The 2000 Explorer is running 65-72 psi constant pressure and can spike higher...Unless that hose is rated for 100 constant pressure it will split or come off your fittings and you can imagine why Ford used metal lines with special connections...

Imp:
The hose I have on hand is rated as SAE J30/R9. What is the difference in that and 70/R9?

JusTheUsual:
That's good to hear that it has lasted that long with no issues. I think what I got was about 50$/20 ft.

If you want to use rubber hosing I would recommend using Gates FI hose that is rated at 225 burst pressure and 150 working pressure...The 2000 Explorer is running 65-72 psi constant pressure and can spike higher...Unless that hose is rated for 100 constant pressure it will split or come off your fittings and you can imagine why Ford used metal lines with special connections...

I know the hose I'm looking at using is rated for 100 psi, I just don't know if that is constant or burst--it actually just shows "Low Emissions Fuel Injection SAE J30/R70 6.9 BAR" on it, and not much else.

Imp:
The hose I have on hand is rated as SAE J30/R9. What is the difference in that and 70/R9?

JusTheUsual:
That's good to hear that it has lasted that long with no issues. I think what I got was about 50$/20 ft.

Oh no that's the cheap stuff. This is like something around $8 a foot

Oh no that's the cheap stuff. This is like something around $8 a foot

So what I have cannot be run from the fuel pump to the injection pump permanently, but can it at least be used for a temporary line fix? I had to cut out a section of the line near the fuel filter (rusted on like crazy) just to relieve some of the pressure on the system.

This is the reason why some states have mandatory technical inspections on cars.
Because of Jack-of-all-trades that make assumptions and advise of what will 'work' and what is 'just fine'.
When that hose ruptures (either during a crash or normal wear) and the high pressure gasoline + heated exhaust causes a fire on highway (hopefully without victims), that Jack will be nowhere to be found for the liability.

I seriously wouldn't use it. It's your gas and if it blows off you are stuck. Pay the few extra dollars

Imp:

Either should be acceptable. Look at the imprint on the hose at your supply store. It should say specifically, "Fuel Injection Hose". If it says, "Fuel/Emissions Hose", it is unsafe for use on fuel injection pressures.

Forget about using "burst strength" criterion. Burst ratings are based on a lot of variables, including temperature. Plus, Safety Factor demands that rated "burst strength" be many times the operating pressure, typically 5 times, or more.

Yes, fuel injection hose is VERY expensive, $8.00 a foot is not unusual. imp

Thanks for all of the replies, and my apologies for not being back on sooner, my wife and other family members have been in and out of the hospital quite a bit the past month.

Just an update as to what I've decided with my Explorer Sport:
If I do not sell it (even piecemeal) then I may opt to turn it into an EV over the next year or so. It may take me that long since I have to replace or remove just about everything on it an almost everything that can be is covered in rust due to its previous owner(s). The tags that were on it were from Iowa and I'm in Texas if that says anything.

Thanks again for the input guys!

Back