Fuel Pump access? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump access?

crespoh69

Reaction score
Hey guys does anyone know the best way to replace the fuel pump on an 2003 v6? Also I've read that there is a switch that just be turned to off under the dash somewhere, is this true? The car stalled on the freeway and apparently its the pump but before I go about getting a used one I want to make sure the fix isn't a simple switch lol

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the switch that you are referring to is called the inertia switch. it is located right on top of the passenger kick panel. The function of this it to cut the power to the pump in event of impact. The buttons just resets it and returns power back to the pump. As to access of the pump, the fuel tank has to be dropped from the vehicle in order to access the fuel pump assembly.

How difficult of a job is this to do? Is there a writeup? How would I check that its the pump itself that's faulty?

Not too many people are ready to jack the truck up and remove the fuel tank, In the last 6 mo. I had the job of replacing my fuel pump. Being 63 and having a regular garage, I called my son to help. As he headed over, I found a thread on replacing the fuel pump by going through the floor just behind the front passenger seat. I had that thread in my old computer, and for some reason I can't find it right now. If you search , I am sure you can find the same site that I did. It is easy and less of a chance of fuel spillage and rusted bolts. If you pm me I can send you pics that I took of my job. Good luck Pete

Back