• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump died

kernowman

Reaction score
City, State
Penzance Cornwall
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 UK SPEC SOHC - LPG
Hi guys, any suggestions re a new fuel pump. My Ex has the same old non-start problem that I had a few months ago, and it has now been diagnosed as an intermittent fuel pump. The guys who are doing it are dropping the tank tomorrow - any suggestions re what pump can be fitted - is it a generic pump or must it be the Ford one which I know is a bit over the top moneywise. Don't want to go down the route of secondhand and have the same happen again.
Richard

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

fuel pumps are expensive considering my work has replaced afew on there vans, even the 05 transit was £1130 inc fitting, i did see some on rockauto for 550 dollars or roughly.

fule pump

hi just seen new explorer fule pump on ebay think its £79 + p&p . cheers chris

when my engine went, RAC diagnosed fuel pump failure, i bought new pump, new relay and new crank position sensor.

cost me £300 from ford. .

hope you get it fixed chap

Si

just a thought as my ex wouldnt start this morning i was convinced it was fuel pump so checked all relays and fuses and still wouldnt fire up,the engine turned ok,anyway after speaking to my brother he said its probably my key immoboliser and asked if i had a spare which i did .i tried the spare key and when i turned key just before firing i got that click noise back from passenger side footwell and then it fired straight up so my non start turned out to be a flay battery in key fob when i was fearing fuel pump,worth a try good luck ,regards richard

Richard, thanks for the tip, mate. Unfortunately mine is a pump fault. Tank is out and pump is intermitant. Didn't want to go down route of secondhand so ended up with my guy at the garage sourcing a new equivalent at £125 plus VAT (I am lucky and get the VAT back). Jeepandchryslerparts on eBay had one on a 'buy it now' for just under 90 quid that would have fitted - they were so helpful, but unfortunately my guy did not want to try and get a different plug and mod the wiring - didn't think the work was worth the extra few quid for the other pump. Here comes the crunch - Fraud quoted £235 for a pump. Wonder if because they are not selling cars at the moment with the squeeze, they are screwing the likes of us to make themselves a profit.
Richard

Hey Rich, hope the pump sorts the problem mate.
Kev.

Thanks Kev, will keep everybody posted. Will be nice to be up and running again. Good thing about this forum, apart from the nice bunch of guys, is that we can all learn from each others problems.

Back