• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump Issues

joshua5438

Reaction score
City, State
Easley, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Sport
I have been having an issue with my 2015 Sport where it will cut out when you put the pedal to the floor. I had a mechanic look at it and he claimed it was the spark plugs. I put new plugs in it when I installed the Gearhead tuner about 6 months ago so I really doubted that was it. I have now had it throw a code twice. Both time it has been an air temp of 100 degrees. The car will completely loose all throttle response and start to idle like its missing on two cylinders. Shut the engine off and let it sit for about 10 minutes and it will start up and run normal. The code is a P0087 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low. With all of this said, I believe it to be the fuel pump. Until now, I had no idea it had three fuel pumps. Has anyone else had a similar issue and correctly identified which pump is going out? I feel it would be the high pressure pump mounted on top of the engine but not sure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

return to the stock tune and see if it still does it to rule out a bad tune.

return to the stock tune and see if it still does it to rule out a bad tune.
Should have mentioned that the tune and map sensor have been returned to stock for about six months. That was my first move when I originally had the issue.

I have been having an issue with my 2015 Sport where it will cut out when you put the pedal to the floor. I had a mechanic look at it and he claimed it was the spark plugs. I put new plugs in it when I installed the Gearhead tuner about 6 months ago so I really doubted that was it. I have now had it throw a code twice. Both time it has been an air temp of 100 degrees. The car will completely loose all throttle response and start to idle like its missing on two cylinders. Shut the engine off and let it sit for about 10 minutes and it will start up and run normal. The code is a P0087 - Fuel Rail/System Pressure - Too Low. With all of this said, I believe it to be the fuel pump. Until now, I had no idea it had three fuel pumps. Has anyone else had a similar issue and correctly identified which pump is going out? I feel it would be the high pressure pump mounted on top of the engine but not sure.
I'm only aware of 1 actual fuel pump and it is located on top of the tank. If the code shows the pressure is too low, I'd think it could be the high pressure pump.

Peter

I'm only aware of 1 actual fuel pump and it is located on top of the tank. If the code shows the pressure is too low, I'd think it could be the high pressure pump.

Peter
Items 13 and 14 are both labeled as fuel pumps in the fuel tank. Is one not truly a pump?

20230828_124930.jpg

I noticed the 2 when I checked them out before sending the link. I don't know why 2 fuel pumps would be necessary. Perhaps it's an either or depending on the vehicle as one is labelled right side and the other left side. :dunno:

Peter

Back