Fuel pump on w/out key on; what are the 2 black wires from i/c by battery? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump on w/out key on; what are the 2 black wires from i/c by battery?

Bob Weigel

Reaction score
City, State
Bozeman, MT
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
This '91 eddie bauer was from estate sale and I think maybe someone rigged it to run fuel pump all the time. I checked relays and the middle one EEC relay I think (brown) was open on the coil! So maybe someone got around that doing a rig. Two black 10 guage wires coming from a 2 wire interconnect tied together and formerly shoved into the battery ground. I get 200 ohms to ground off the tied pair. Does anyone know what those wires should go to?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Picture would be helpful.

those two wires are the computer ground
roscoe

those two wires are the computer ground
roscoe
thanks, it didn't look like a likely place to hack and make fuel pump run in spite of the bad eec relay. I'll hook them to ground and see what happens I suppose....

Well 1.6A of current is flowing with key off. Is that fuel pump? I don't hear it but it's kind noisy today...

PS is there a fuse diagram for the '91 eddie bauer online?

PS is there a fuse diagram for the '91 eddie bauer online?
Oh never mind I think I found them...the site looked not quite right on the interior diagram but now I see the under hood fuse block has the legend inside the cover.. yay. pulled the fuel pump and no change. Turns out it's just dome lights staying on...not sure why that is yet...

So maybe the relay was just sticking for fuel pump before. I still have 1/4 amp running somewhere. We'll pull fuses and see if we can isolate that..

Ahh pulling the 40amp headlight fuse kills the 1/4A leak. I pulled the hood wire i/c and all the other connectors coming from the same harness going to other things on engine etc. and no change. What could be causing 250mA draw on that circuit?

Does anyone have wiring diagram to note what else is on headlight circuit besides headlights?

I have a huge paper diagram but it is for 1994

which part of the circuit do you need? Looks like there’s a delay exit lamp relay, warning chime module, etc and lots more involved in the total circuit

which part of the circuit do you need? Looks like there’s a delay exit lamp relay, warning chime module, etc and lots more involved in the total circuit
THanks, just anything potentially drawing 1/4A all the time normally with key off. Maybe it's an alarm circuit. Just seems a fairly high current for an alarm circuit. In '91 we should have had a fairly low power pic chip or something controlling that. But anything's possible..my old Blaupunct tape/radio runs down my van battery if I leave it in for a month or something. If anyone has that explorer and can pull a battery terminal and put a current meter in there I guess we'd know.

Ok I can take a look. Question is, is 94 the same as 91?
I’m guessing not but maybe similar enough

I bought a 91 engine for my bronco II so I got a electrical diagram for 92 is what the engine turned out to be f2 computer and the color codes on a few wires are different 94 is also much more complicated because of sequential inj
roscoe

Back