• Register Today It's free!

Fuel pump question.

nazcardan

Reaction score
City, State
Missouri
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
I have an 02 Explorer 4.0 that is currently dead... my question is... if your fuel pump is fried, it won't even make a clicking sound when you put the ignition in the "ON" position. Is this correct?
I changed the fuel filter yesterday and then drove it down the road about a mile or so before turning around and coming back. It ran fine then. No spitting or sputtering. Then this morning, my wife went about 3 miles down the road and it shut down on her, now it won't start.

Currently, the only sound I hear is in the top of the engine and I am assuming this is just a relay. I have also reset the fuel pump using the red reset switch in the passenger side panel in front of the door.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a second set of hand would help hear if the fuel pump is on, the pump only stays on for a second or two then shutts off. have somebody turn the key on and off while you listen near the tank for the pump running

It may not be the fuel pump...

I have an 02 Explorer 4.0 that is currently dead... my question is... if your fuel pump is fried, it won't even make a clicking sound when you put the ignition in the "ON" position. Is this correct?
I changed the fuel filter yesterday and then drove it down the road about a mile or so before turning around and coming back. It ran fine then. No spitting or sputtering. Then this morning, my wife went about 3 miles down the road and it shut down on her, now it won't start.

Currently, the only sound I hear is in the top of the engine and I am assuming this is just a relay. I have also reset the fuel pump using the red reset switch in the passenger side panel in front of the door.

Any assistance is greatly appreciated.

Check to see if your vehicle has a constant control module (CCM). Ford started using a circuit board to consolidate 4 relays under one module (fuel pump, AC, engine fan, ECM) are all in one metal box (CCM) on my '04 Mustang and it's under the passenger front fender -- you have to remove plastic inner fender well to get to it. You should find your fuel pump relay and change it. If you can't find the relay, check to see if you have a CCM. Be careful with questioning auto parts stores -- they will sell you a relay even if you need a CCM unless you get a guy who knows what I've mentioned above. Ford parts guy in TX even told me to find the relay and change it, not knowing about the CCM. By the way a CCM will cost you close to $200 bucks, and I'd advise not getting a remanufactured one because if the rely controlling the ECM is bad it could fry you engine control module. Your vehicle may also have a fuel pump driver module, if the relay doesn't fix your issue, look to this module next. If you can run down electricity to ensure you have power to your pump and determine you do, you probably need a new pump. Good luck.

Thanks guys. Going to get it to the mechanic in the moring... probably by tow truck. I'll let you know what I find out.

what happened?

Thanks guys. Going to get it to the mechanic in the moring... probably by tow truck. I'll let you know what I find out.

Update.... not good news. The fuel pump isn't the problem, it's the timing chain. Fixed this time last year... started making a noise again about a week ago... then all of a sudden kaboom. To say I'm not happy about this whole ordeal is the understatement of the year.

yes i feel your pain, I replaced 2 engines already, these 4.0 sohc engines are junk

The timing chain tensioners were problems on the 4.0L engines. We ended up replacing the engine on my wifes '02 at 134k because the plastic pieces in the tensioning system broke. Ive read/heard that the tensioners (2ea) should be replaced.... every so often.

Back