04 sport trac fuel pump and fpdm issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 sport trac fuel pump and fpdm issues

Bignate

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 sport trac
Hey guys working on my moms 04 explorer sport trac and need some help.
About 2 months ago we were driving and the truck started spitting and sputtering and died then just cranked and cranked was getting no fuel so got it home and sure enough the FPDM was wasted corroded away and full of grit so I replaced it with the dorman kit and truck still wouldn't start then I remembered the inertia reset under the floorboard hit that and the truck fired up and has ran great ever since mom transports kids all around ohio for foster care and has put 5,000 miles on it since no problems.
The other day I went to move the truck and started moved it and then it died and cranked no fuel. Reset the inertia switch ran fine for a few minutes then died again.
So I'm assuming my fuel pump is in need of replacement at 142,000. But does anyone have the pin out and voltage specs so I can do a proper diagnoses?
I used to work in a shop but no longer have access to dorman or all data so any help would be appreciated thanks.

Why would the fuel inertia switch keep tripping? Short in a wire or a relay failure?

I had to replace a bad fuel pump in our 04 Explorer. I proved it bad by seeing 12 V on pin 4 (Pink/Black) of the FPDM going to the pump but nothing on the return (pin 2 Black/orange). The power has to go down into the tank, through the motor, and then back to the FPDM for ground. The FPDM pulses the ground on and off to change the duty on the pump motor to regulate pressure in the rail.

I don't know if these colors are true to the Sport.

Why would the fuel inertia switch keep tripping? Short in a wire or a relay failure?

There is no relay in the intertia switch. Simply an auto impact switch that requires manual reset. Pretty simple.

Pin 5 (white wire) is the power input to the FPDM coming from the fuel pump relay then the inertia switch.

Back