• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump Relay

Jeff S

Reaction score
City, State
Minneapolis, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Sport
The Explorer didn't start yesterday and I am beginning to suspect the fuel pump and/or fuel pump relay. It wouldn't start last week, so I replaced the battery and it worked for a week. It didn't sound like the battery last time, but since it seemed to work, I didn't worry about it. Now, I got the exact same symptoms. The engine cranks but doesn't catch. The truck is a 97 sport with the SOHC and about 53,000 miles. I'm thinking it might be the fuel pump relay. How hard is it to replace? Does it pop out just like a fuse? Do I need to take any special precautions. The Chilton manual doesn't give instructions, it says that relays should be serviced by a technician. Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well, i had the same problem and it kept getting worse. sometimes my truck wouldnt start for me, then on a long drive, my engine stalled on me. i pulled over and it started right up, and i finished my drive. i took it to ford and they said the lower intake manifold gasket was shot and it was causing a vacuum leak - they fixed it 6 weeks ago. they claimed they fixed it, until my truck stalled last week. im conivinced of the diagnosis, but i called my mechanic (not ford) and he said he thinks the same thing, but he said those gaskets are problematic and dont always seat right, so im tkaing it to him - id rather pay to have it done right, as opposed to getting it for free and have it not be fixed.

my truck is going in tomorrow and ill post what happens when i get it back.

this might be your problem, it might not, but it took 2 ford dealerships to figure it out, so just keep it mind, i guess.

Okay. I replaced the fuel pump relay last night and no luck! The truck still won't start. Oh well, time to take it in to the Ford dealer.

Update

Fuel Pump replacement = $576! Ouch!

What happened?

There seems to be two problems being addressed here. One is stalling, the other is not starting. My Explorer is not starting sometimes and working fine others. Jeff, did you solve the problem and if so how?

Thanks, bhasinc2@yahoo.com

I had the same problem a few months ago. Sometimes it wouldn't start but eventually it did. I then noticed that I couldn't hear the pump engage right after I turn the ignition. I swapped out the relay with another one (in the fuse box) and it still didn't fix it. I finally had it towed to the dealer. When they looked at it the next day, the vehicle started up fine. They did end up replacing the fuel pump 8 days later for about $600.00. I hadn't had the problem return since. (I'm keeping my fingers crossed)

Thanks Config,

Hope that solves the problem for you. It's been a little over a week since I got mine back (after being towed to my mechanic). He couldn't diagnose the problem and recommended I take it to the dealer. How do you find a problem that isn't there? Frustrating. Well it's starting eveytime now but who knows. If or when it quits again I'll keep the fuel pump in mind. I read about the module recall and we don't have that particular one so that's not it.

We'll see.

Thanks again.

DUDE BEFORE YOU TAKE IT TO SOMEONE

have your buddy turn the key to the start position.
Listen to the gas tank to hear the fuel pump come on.
It should come on for about 2 seconds.

If it does not come on or if it sounds like it's gurguling then you need to drop the tank and replace it.

It's not that hard, 1.5 hours max!!!! about $80 at Carquest.

You also want to replace that fuel filter before you do anything. The 4.0L needs a new MOTOCraft (NO FRAM!!!!!!!!) fuel filter about every 2-3 years.

Loud and clear

Thanks 410 fortune,

Just went out and tried it and I could hear it fine. Sure appreciate the suggestions though. Who knows maybe after all the tinkering my mechanic did, it's fixed and we don't even know how. Wishfull thinking.

Fortune,

What type of wheels are on your bronco? They look great, exactly like what I would like to replace my 91 Outlaw style wheels with.

Also, can you give more info on your filter kit?

Back