Fuel, spark, but no injectors pulse | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel, spark, but no injectors pulse

Ulenran

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
SAGLE, ID
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Ford Explorer 4. XLT
2002 explorer xlt with the piece-o-cologne 4.0 and it died on the highway. Had it towed home after verifying that battery was good, and that I had spark. Tested fuel pressure and it was a measly 10 psi after priming pump a few times. Replaced pump, have 60/70 psi now, and I have spark. Now injectors seem to be non functional. Car will start on fluid, but quickly dies. Replaced coil, crank and cam sensors, and tps sensor. Coil was duralast brand, everything else is Motorcraft.

Injectors have 12.4 volts with key on. MAF is clean and tested ok. Temp sensor reading ok.
No vacuum leaks far as I can tell. No blown fuses, no bad relays.

I do have some electrical gremlins I haven't had time to sort out, but nothing that kept it from running fine before it stalled.

I have not verified that injectors pulse, hard to get the wife out here to crank while I listen when it is so cold....

I have replaced transmission and engine myself on this vehicle, but I'm running out of ideas and about ready to turn this thing into a mobile chicken coop. 23000 on trans, 190000 on engine, 240000 something on the rest.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you test fuel pressure? Is it possibly something simple like a bad fuel filter? Any codes? It seems unlikely that all 6 injectors would fail at once. Maybe the fuel pressure sensor?

Crank sensor controls injector pulse, check the sensor and the ring on the back of the balancer.

Crank sensor controls spark I thought. Both crank and cam sensors are new. Tested injectors for operation with a 9v, they make an audible clicking noise on and off. Borrowed a noid light, got no pulse. Injectors do have constant 12v on purple wire with key on. Not receiving pulse from cam pos sensor I think.

Just tested voltage at sensors and front 2 injectors again, I have NO voltage to cam or crank sensor, and BOTH power and signal wires on injectors have 12 volts. Unplug harness, and signal wire shows 0, power shows 12. I have continuity on injector, is that normal?

I have continuity through all signal wires on sensors from PCM plug to sensor harness plugs. Shifting wires does not break continuity.

Took PCM apart, did not find swollen capacitors, burnt wiring, or corrosion.

Thanks for all the replies so far!

Theft light not on, tested fuel pressurevat the Schrader valve on fuel rail.

Back