Fuel Tank Dilemma | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Tank Dilemma

I got a new tank off rock auto for dirt cheap... Way nicer... You can even order the new filler hoses and neck if they are that bad...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Little off topic but about to drop my tank and replace the pump, and pry clean it out after all this time (150k) there can be gunk and grime/dirt built up. My fuel filter was literally black and gritty fluid, looked nothing like gasoline coming out of it lol, hence why my fuel pump is "stuttering". But only reason I mentioned is even in South FL and I live on a finger canal right off intracoastal, and about mile or two to the beach, that salt air doesn't seem to affect cars much. Where others said up north their fuel filter and clips were basically rusted/corroded apart and the lines, mine with 150k miles looked almost brand new of the factory floor :D

Salt air kills bbq grills though even covered, this is my 2nd one and its on its last leg about 4 years.

I've dropped 4 tanks now, and each time I was surprised at how clean they've been inside. I haven't had to clean out anything. I've changed some nasty fuel filters though, so crap goes through there. Looks more like mud.

So I completed the fuel tank job. It was a real pain to get that support strap bolt started. The rest was easy. I wish I would've gone with the OEM tank.

The aftermarket one I purchased is just a big open tank vs. the OEM which has a plastic reservoir inside it that the fuel pump sits into and holds about 1-2 gallons of fuel. That allows the vehicle to be at almost any angle, and still have fuel going to the pump. With this aftermarket one, I see problems if I let the level get too low, especially if the vehicle is on a slope in a decline position.

I guess my punishment is to make sure it is always at least a 1/4 tank full or greater.

So I completed the fuel tank job. It was a real pain to get that support strap bolt started. The rest was easy. I wish I would've gone with the OEM tank.

The aftermarket one I purchased is just a big open tank vs. the OEM which has a plastic reservoir inside it that the fuel pump sits into and holds about 1-2 gallons of fuel. That allows the vehicle to be at almost any angle, and still have fuel going to the pump. With this aftermarket one, I see problems if I let the level get too low, especially if the vehicle is on a slope in a decline position.

I guess my punishment is to make sure it is always at least a 1/4 tank full or greater.

Sounds like the wrong tank/defective tank. That well is necessary with the in-tank pump to keep the pump immersed in fuel so as to prevent starvation and keep it cool.

Bill

A long overdue update:

I thought I was done with this. I put up the new tank, connected everything, would not start. Seems the fuel pump decided to stop working during the old/new tank transfer. Everyone said to buy a new one while the tank was out. I did not listen. I had the "Ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. I payed the price. I had to do it all over again, with a new fuel pump. Once I put it up with the new fuel pump installed, it started right up.

And...don't forget to transfer the fuel pump strainer/sock to the new fuel pump before installing into the tank. I did not. After the 2nd re-install, noticed it laying on the ground next to it. It made me cry man tears. I contemplated just leaving it out, but no, so I did it all over again for a 3rd time.

So, it's running great now, and I have exhausted the fuel down to where the warning light has come on, and no adverse effect. I filled it shortly after though. ;)

Back