• Register Today It's free!

full size spare

raginraj

Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLS 4x4 (4.0L OHV)
I managed to get a flat tire on the front passenger side tire last week. I pulled the wheel off and put on the full size spare but since it might be another week before I can replace the blown tire I was wondering if there is anything I should know about driving around on the spare. Since it is full size (identical to the other four tires) I figure I can drive on it pretty normally but I wanted to make sure there weren't any restrictions imposed by the spare wheel that the spare tire is on. I have the aluminum rims from the XLS sport package that came with my 2000 X. As far as I can tell the spare wheel is just a plain, and ugly, wheel so I think I'm ok. Like I said I wanted to make sure before I did anything stupid to my X.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As long as there is tread on your spare tire, you are good to drive on that tire and rim. The spare rim is just an ugly steel rim, you will hurt nothing, it will just look bad ;)

Thanks snocross, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. Damn that spare rim is ugly... I gotta get it changed out soon.

Glad to help. ya the spare is ugly, I drove on mine for a while and it is just plan nasty :D

If you haven't already make sure you check the pressure on your spare. I was filling my 4 tires up and decided to get on the creeper and do the spare and it had 20 PSI in it!

Other than that, try and park and drive against walls so no one sees the ugly steel rim ;)

If it has less tread than the other tires it a good idea to put it on the back axle. Steering might pull otherwise.

JL 3x12 Xplorer said:
If it has less tread than the other tires it a good idea to put it on the back axle. Steering might pull otherwise.

Not a problem... the spare is pretty much cherry.

Back