Fun with a 3D pen. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fun with a 3D pen.

3D printers are rapidly becoming the ultimate tool for small businesses as well as do it yourself hobbyists. You think of something unique, draw up the plans with a CAD program, then start printing. But for those people with a limited budget, computer CAD experience, and room for more hardware which takes up space, another option is to start small, and get practice with a 3D pen. Don't expect to start manufacturing things with a cheap pen. They won't provide the precision or resolution of an expensive 3D printer but they will be capable of making small replacement parts, repairs on existing parts, and are fun to use if you like to draw.

Here's an example of something which came in handy. I have a kitchen faucet with a pull out spray. The trigger valve on the top has a rubber cover which fell apart, and got lost over time. I didn't want to replace the entire spout over a missing cover, and couldn't find an exact replacement so I was able to make a replacement with a 3D pen which cost under $18. As you could see in the photos, it takes practice to make a good part. Don't expect perfect results on the first attempt. The results are a little on the rough side but it does the job. The last picture is an improved version. It was made much thinner so it's more flexible. The material is similar to rubber.

Attachments

• 3D pen with a rubber faucet cover..jpg
    3D pen with a rubber faucet cover..jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 207
  • Spout without a cover..jpg
    Spout without a cover..jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 201
  • Spout with a 3D cover..jpg
    Spout with a 3D cover..jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 208
  • Improved 3D spout cover..jpg
    Improved 3D spout cover..jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 205

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now that you've seen what these pens are capable of creating, I will show you how they could be used to repair plastics. In the past, I've used propane & butane to weld plastic. I've even used hot melt glue. These repairs worked but they are hard to perform with precision. Now comes the 3D pen. It has a digital temperature controller with an LCD display, and a motorized variable speed feeding feature called an extruder. To top this off, you could get a large variety of color filaments in several types of materials to match the plastic you're working on. Here are some examples of repairs & modifications on PVC electrical boxes:

Attachments

• 3D pen filled hole in box..jpg
    3D pen filled hole in box..jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 203
  • 3D pen filled in electrical box..jpg
    3D pen filled in electrical box..jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 207
  • Circuit breaker mounted in an electrical box..jpg
    Circuit breaker mounted in an electrical box..jpg
    31.6 KB · Views: 195

The 3D pen is good for repairing cracked plastic just like a plastic welder. Here's an example of what it's capable of doing to a broken refrigerator shelf support:

Attachments

• 3D pen repair of the refrigerator shelf..jpg
    3D pen repair of the refrigerator shelf..jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 200

Which pen have you used? I have a broken fan shroud that needs mending

Back