• Register Today It's free!

Gas gauge on "E" until re-start

guy48065

Reaction score
City, State
se MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited 4.6
Yesterday after filling up at the pump I drove away and then noticed the needle on empty and the message center showing "--- miles to empty". It stayed that way until I got home, then I turned it off and re-started and the needle shot up to "F". Is this common? I don't know if it was totally random or had something to do with filling up (I did not overfill).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's a defect with the pumps sending unit. Ford says it has to do with using "bad gas," such as Arco or what have you. Which gums up the contacts.
Ie, use Shell, Chevron etc...
I find this answer to be crap, because I always use one of the two listed.

The other answer, is that the vehicle goes into "slosh mode." Which, after a fuel up, gas would be moving around.

Another Ford answer, is to not turn the key to run without immediately going to start.

See if you are getting a P0463 code, though if you were, your CEL should be on.

Could be the gauge itself, but I doubt it.

Those DO sound like BS corporate answers. If it was just a touchy sender it would have come back during the drive home instead of after cycling the power. It's my guess the gauge is driven by the computer, instead of directly by the sender.

i used to fill up and have the gauge read 3/4.. threw a bottle of fuel system cleaner in and it hasn't happened since

From the (lack of) responses I can take comfort that it's not a common problem. Probably just a random computer glitch-- it's been normal since. My truck seems to have an unusual number of weird glitches and intermittents. :dunno:

Mine does the same exact thing. I have done some searching and found 2 possible answers. 1, is that it is a flaky sending unit. The other, is that possibly there is a shoddy ground somewhere. Either way, once I have drove 20-30 miles and restart the vehicle, the gauge will return to normal and read accurately. Long story short, I'm not going to worry about it.

The only issue is if the CEL comes on and you have to pass emissions. In that case, clear the code and drive a couple of days.

If you aren't pulling any codes, the. You'd be fine. I've had no drivability issues for the past two years.

Isn't it a "drivability problem" to run out of gas because the gauge doesn't work?
I noticed some things today. Again the gauge didn't move but this time I had first turned the key to "run"and left it there a bit. At the same time my auto headlights didn't come on. So I'm going to be careful not to do that (leave it on "run" before starting).
I've never had a vehicle with these strange computer issues.

Just rest your tripometer at each fill up and you'll know when to get gas. Usually my gauge starts working again well before needing the next fill up.

Back