• Register Today It's free!

gas guage haywire

BriSan90

Reaction score
City, State
South
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 Sport
Hey guys, just joined here recently. Got a 96 Sport. The gas guage shows full one minute and then you can turn the key on and off and then it shows half a tank. Then it goes back to full then empty all over the map! You guys think it is the sender or the slosh module? Any thoughts?:(

I had this problem for more than two years. I suspected the sender or the slosh module. I didn't want to drop the tank, besides Ford only sells the fuel sender along with the fuel pump($$$$$$) and the pump had recently been replaced. The slosh module must be changed along with the guage itself, they are calibrated to each other somehow. I changed them anyway and the problem continued. I read somewhere that high sulfur in gasolione could sometimes cause the sender to behave erractically and the solution was to add Techron fuel system cleaner to the fuel for several tankfuls. This didn't work either--immediately. After about two years and many bottles of Techron the guage started working normally again! To keep track of fuel level I constantly monitored the "Miles until empty" in the message center.

Back