• Register Today It's free!

Gas guage reads empty.

LaVell

Reaction score
City, State
Salt Lake City, UT
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT 4x4 4 liter
I have a '91 Ford Explorer and the gas guage reads empty no matter how much gas is in the tank. How do I check to see if it is the sender, guage or signal buffer board? I have tried to remove the instrument panel but I cannot disengage the speedometer cable and the cable is fastened to the floor boards with a rivet underneath the vehicle. I am thinking I may have to remove the skid plate under the fuel tank and then lower the fuel tank. I am not sure what problems I will get into on lowering the tank. What is the best way to go?

They had problems with the brass float on the sending unit filling with gas and always reading empty. You won't know till you remove the tank though.

Best way to go is to unplug the fuel pump harness near the fuel tank then take a look at the fuel gauge. If it's pegged at or past the Full mark, then the sending unit crapped out.
As swetrid said, the brass floats tend to develop holes over time and then fuel gets inside the float. It's repairable if you solder or braze the float, but you can also just replace the sending unit too.

Back