Gas leak ? Gas mileage doesn't add up!!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gas leak ? Gas mileage doesn't add up!!!

NickSantagataa

Reaction score
City, State
Mount dora , Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 explorer xlt 4x4
hey explorer forum members, I drive a 2008 Ford Explorer xlt 4.0 v6 4x4. For the last month I've been running through two full tanks going the same exact distance.... I need to get this issue figured out. I have some fluid that drips from the resonator on the end of the exhaust pipe. Could my fuel tank have a leak in it? Or could it be I need a tune up and a new fuel filter? I did plugs wires and air filter 10 months ago... Can't see me needing a tune up again

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First the fuel tank is on the passenger side. How many miles on the car and has the fuel filter been replaced? What is the mpg on the dash saying?
There are so many things that can cause poor mpg including tires, mechanical issues, driving style, aftermarket upgrades, and so many more things.

I fill up twice a month, my explorer gets 419 miles to a tank.
Anything between 16 and 20 mpg, I consider "Normal range"
If you're getting under this, THEN I'd be concerned.

I mean I have 32" tires , spaced out so that doesn't help gas mileage. Dash says 12.3 mpg, I have 157,000 miles , I bought it at 140k, so I doubt the fuel filter ever got changed. **** from the day I got it it never got 16 in the street. Usually 15ish.

Is that mostly city driving? I know that was what I was getting awile back then I went on a nice long (full to empty tank) all highway drive at 70mph and since them my mpg has picked up to around 15 in the city.
And I would start with the filter because its cheaper the other things.

Is that mostly city driving? I know that was what I was getting awile back then I went on a nice long (full to empty tank) all highway drive at 70mph and since them my mpg has picked up to around 15 in the city.
And I would start with the filter because its cheaper the other things.
I live kind of in the country so it's combined I guess. Alright anyone have any experience on changing these filters ? Do we have to drop out tanks like some cars ?

The filter is located passender side in front of the fuel tank behind a heat shield. I dont know if you will need any special tools like a line disconnect tool.

Back