• Register Today It's free!

gas leak top of tank

FreeUlster

Reaction score
City, State
Jeffersonville, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 xl
I've been getting abysmal gas mileage. I get 140 mile on a full tank max. Exhaust smelled of raw gas. No CEL. I replaced the O2 sensor since I have 200,000 on the clock(I did try running the truck with O2 sensor disconnected with no CEL either). Since replacing the O2 sensor I have developed a good sized gas leak from the top rear of the tank that didn't exist before. I am wondering if a bad O2 sensor caused me to run open circuit. Now that it is replaced fuel is going back to the tank but the return line is off or damaged. I am dropping the tank Friday morning and want to know if the lines are metal or plastic and easily replaceable in sections?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ooops

Thanks to the wonders of the SEARCH function it would seem I have either a ruptured fuel line(likely return according to symptoms) or the metal outlet/inlets have corroded. Any suggestions on fuel line repair or are they made of unobtanium?

You probably need a new sending unit, mine rusted out before.

FWIW I put in a new sender and problem solved.

I had the same problem with mine. the lock down gasket had all but dissolved. I would go ahead and change the sending unit if your going through that and you might need a new lock down ring. Mine was rusted pretty bad i actually just squeezed it together to get it off.

Back