Gas leak

Bmwz389

Reaction score
City, State
Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I have a 92 XLT 2WD

I have a strange problem that is really annoying me now. From what I thought was the purge valve broken, is actually a leak at the FPR. After replacing the Purge Valve, that's when the leak started showing. It weird, because when I pulled the FPR out of the fuel rail, the o-ring looked cracked and a little torn, so I went searching around to different chops and got a new o-ring off a new FPR. The o-ring was thinner but still fit snug. The thing is, when I put it back on the fuel rail, it doesn't leak.it takes a good 7 hours for the leak to come back. Its leaking enough to puddle every dip on the lower intake manifold. My only two guesses at this point is that the new o-ring, coming from an aftermarket FPR, stretches due to heat causing the leak, or I have a tiny crack in my fuel rail, expanding after it heats up.

Any guesses?

Thanks again,

Brandon

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone? Anything? I'm kind of sitting in the water here. Kinda need my truck....

More than likely the o-ring is the issue. I would agree that the thinner o-ring is borderline sealing the fuel rail. After heating not only with the metal expand slighlty, but as you mentioned the characteristics of the o-ring could change. I would find the correct o-ring and see if that solves the problem.

Good Luck

--Joe

K thats what I figured, just wanted a seconds opinion. I called ford and they didn't have one, I lost the old one and the new is all i have left. I remember the characteristics of the old ring so I'll have to look around.

Thanks again!

Brandon

go look at places that they sell parts for compressed air...i have o rings of all sizes for paintballguns...

Ok so finally I said crew it and gave in. I bought a new aftermarket FPR, so that I wouldn't have to search everywhere for a stupid piece of rubber. Every since then I've had a random slow start and I'm going insane. Sometimes it takes normal 2-3 seconds to start. Other times it take 7-10 seconds to start.

My gut tells me it's a pressure leak, since I don't see or smell gas anymore.

Any ideas??

My gut tells me it's a pressure leak, since I don't see or smell gas anymore.
The first thing I would do then would be to put a fuel pressure gauge on it and verify that fuel pressure isn't coming up as it should when starting.

Yeah I should have mentioned as well that it's almost always when it sits for a while. That's what originally made me believe it was a pressure leak...Maybe I can rent one from Autozone. If not I can just buy one, they are only like what 30 bucks or something?

Back