• Register Today It's free!

Gas Mileage

wingot

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Eddie Bauer
I Have a 1991 4door 4wd Eddie bauer editon explorer, and I was just wondering what kind of mileage ppl with simmilar vehicles get. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

People get a pretty wide variety of mileage on this forum from their Explorers. The average is probably around 17mpg or so. A lot of people get less, and a lot get more. If you're stock tires and everything the average is probably about 17.

I have gotten up to 22mpg mixed highwa-city driving. I usually get around 20.5mpg.

I presently have 5 explorers ,, 1-91 - 1-93 - 3 -94s
1 - 94 is 4x4 & 5-speed
1 - 94 is Limited automatic
1 - 94 is EB 4X4 automatic

Generally = 16 - 17 in city. I live in Las Vegas so city driving involves 65% freeway, but unable to maintain constant speed.

Highway trips in the Limited 2WD avg = 20mpg,, I've gotten 21 on a tank or 2 but I have also gotten 19. Depends on ths hills etc. I usually set the cruise around 72 - 75. :usa:

Right now Im averaging 15-18 city. Im in seattle so there is a lot of hills. My trucks also modded to hell... cat-back, chip, intake, all that. Search for gas mileage. There is a poll and a ton of posts about it.

Ive got an exhaust leak, last tank was 14.62MPG. Thats mostly city (I live 1.5 miles from school, and 2.5 miles from work so its mostly short drives)

Just filled up today and i made it up to 15.72 MPG, all city

I have been averaging around 15-16 daily driving. Just got 14 over the weekend with it fully loaded and pulling my camping trailer. Involved a lot of hills and also some unloaded beach time in 4 high. I was actually suprised at how good of mileage I got on this trip. I was expecting something a lot lower. Oh well, no complaints.

holy crapoly, I replaced my o2 sensors and ran a bottle of seafoam thru... my mileage is now at 17-20, and thats a mix of city/hwy. Tank 1 after work, 17.52 mpg... Tank 2 20.15 mpg... tank 3 18.02 mpg

I just replaced my o2 sensor (both) and cleaned the MAF, but I only managed to go about 240 miles on a 16 gallon fill-up. That's about.. uh.. 15 mpg.
Still feels a bit "sluggish" (lacking power) sometimes. Would replacing the fuel filters help? (I bought the Ex used with about 120k on it)

And what's this Seafoam stuff you speak of and where'd you apply it?

not the best

I have a 92' 4.0 Eddie Bauer 4x4, and I have 235/75/r15 tires; I am gettin about 11 miles a gal. What about u?

I keep track of every drop of fuel I put into my explorer and on 11 tanks I have recorded since I got it, I average around 17MPG. That is mainly city/highway mixed. I have found on strictly highway running around 110-130 KM/H I can get from 19-21 MPG. The lowest I got was 14.93 MPG, but that is city/hwy mixed at around -30 with the 4x4 on and not doing more than 90KM/H.

If this accidently gets posted multiple times, it's because when I hit the post button it came up with "The server is too busy.... try again later" and I just kept hitting the button until it posted.

16.2 around town in my 94.Probably gonna get 20mpg hwy when I go on a trip next week.:D

22-24 mpg on the highway..... in town.... about half that.

I got up to 25mpg going down a pretty flat 55mph highway

92 4x4 3.27 gears and an automatic

My '93 Ranger 4X4, with a 4.0L-OHV, 5spd, 3.73 gears, and 265/75/15 tires, gets about 16.5mpg, on average, with a mix of in-town and highway (more highway though). At the end of last summer, I got nearly 18mpg on one or two tanks. Over the winter, I saw a few as low as 15mpg, but that was with a lot of idle time, to warm it up, and a lot of crawling in snow-storm traffic.
Also keep in mind that most of the time this truck is hauling scrap metal, so there is usually a lot of weight in it. I also have stomped a foot shaped crater in the driver side floor, right under the gas pedal. (not really, I'm just trying to be funny)

I got 11 city with 33s and 3.73 with 4.88s and 33s i got less than 9,way less!! I have 4.88s and 36s now but havent done any mileage test,hoping it goes up!!

33s 3.73ls 4.0 and i get about 10/12 (but mines got issues and a snorkel)

edit: also a thread here about who gets what and why etc HeRe

I'm feeling pretty good about all the work I have been doing to up my mileage. I might have to start a mileage monster thread at this rate. We'll see what happens when the engine gets replaced.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I got the vehicle.... Consistant 20 MPG's.
That's even with the mileage I have on it.

Back