gas mileage | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gas mileage

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What I used was CRC MAF cleaner, available at Autozone. It didn't take much, it cut the grim off right away.

Don't forget to check for trans slippage.

After I took my 2001 sport to the stealership and they "flushed" the trans My mileage dropped like a stone. Went from 330mi per tank to 250mi per tank. I can feel the trans slipping, now it drives like and old land-yacht instead of a "sport" truck. I think either the EPC was damaged or the stealership zapped my computer.

Don't forget to check for trans slippage.

After I took my 2001 sport to the stealership and they "flushed" the trans My mileage dropped like a stone. Went from 330mi per tank to 250mi per tank. I can feel the trans slipping, now it drives like and old land-yacht instead of a "sport" truck. I think either the EPC was damaged or the stealership zapped my computer.

Than you should bring it back to them instead of living with there mess up. Don't ya think?

My '01 5.0 seems to run great. It just inhale's fuel at 13-15 MPG though. I may have to sell it or park it and get a beater car that gets better MPG. I should've sold it when gas hit 2.50 per gallon.

Try Hyper millage. It's not the best thing in the world but it saves you gas.

Don't race up to a red light, Keep your speed steady and if you see a red light and your end of the other block, take your feet of the gas and let the X cruise to the light. Don't idle too much, Take off slowly and don't let Road rage to get to you.

With this, I went from 11MPG to now about 15MPG city, not bad at all when it's 4.16/G

I understand driving style affect mpg significantly.

I'll second or third or forth that comment. Since the gas prices have gotten out of hand, I've do the speed limit now on the highways. I also merge much slower and leave stop lights much slower as well. Somewhat surprisingly, so is everyone else as I have less people driving up my a$$ now than I did when I was having the NASCAR experience. Anyway, I used to get between 16 and 17 mpg. Now I'm knocking on the door of 20. A 20% gain in fuel economy is nothing to sneeze at!

What I used was CRC MAF cleaner, available at Autozone. It didn't take much, it cut the grim off right away.

Great stuff. I cleaned mine during a tune-up a while back and it was amazing the crap that was coming off the sensor.

Back