gas mileage | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gas mileage

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, Md
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Sport
My x have about 145,000 miles on it. In the past 2 weeks my gas mileage has seemed to make a significant decrease. My alignment is fine and the tires are properly inflated. Is there anything that could be causing this? Any is there anything I can do to increase my gas mileage? I understand driving style affect mpg significantly. Thanks all help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a tune up?

-mc

i was thinking maybe it could be the fuel filter? it hasnt been replaced. could this be a possibility?

Check your oil. Dirty or even 1 quart low can cause a drastic drop in mpg before you know it. Just adding a quart can increase the mpg in just 1 tank of gas.

i just replaced the oil about 1,000miles ago the level is fine. Should i still add another quart? wouldnt that be bad?

Yes, adding another quart would be bad if your current level is good. Must be something else. Check vacuums?

i noticed after i cleaned my maf and iat sensor and added a new air filter my mpg increased. but like the other guys said maybe a tune up can cure your problem. im still in the works of doing the rest of my tune up just havnt had the funds or time to do anything yet. well, anyway good luck with your quest for increased mpg,lol.

also, change that fuel filter if its never been changed before.

You could try out one of those tornado things that you put into the intake piping. It creates like a wind tunnel and some how it increases your gas mileage. I have it on my explorer and ****, I only fill up once a week and I drive alot! Its kinda expensive but it pays for its self. Good buy too!

I just cleaned the MAF on my X and it has indeed helped gas mileage and more. The engine is running smoother and has more pep as well.

I doubt the MAF would cause a drastic change in just two weeks though. it sounds like something else.

a significant decrease
What does that actually mean? Can you quantify that at the pump? I can go from 10 to 16 MPG based entirely on my temper if I'm not paying attention :). From an engineering viewpoint, I don't think many things will create a huge difference "overnight" and those would probably be things like leaks (gas/oil/vacuum) or blockage/restriction on intake or exhaust. For a smaller loss, any number of simple factors might be the cause, but you can clear most of those up easily and cheaply (change air/fuel filter, clean MAF, etc.).

You could try out one of those tornado things that you put into the intake piping. It creates like a wind tunnel and some how it increases your gas mileage. I have it on my explorer and ****, I only fill up once a week and I drive alot! Its kinda expensive but it pays for its self. Good buy too!

I beg to differ.

I agree with aldive on both his comments. The tornado, or whatever they're calling them now don't do squat. And your mood effects driving a hell of a lot. If something has happened recently in your life (this is already starting to sound cheesy) then I would wait it out and see how it goes after some time has passed.

If your transmission is slipping and power doesnt actually go to the ground you'd be dumping gas.

or if your like me and the parking brake indicator doesn't light up on your dash, you could be driving with them on and not really notice. Its simple to clean and not a bad idea to put some dielectric grease on it when it goes back in, saved me about alot of gas.

Gas Saving Tip

After my Explorer was getting around 10 mpg and my pickup had used a half tank of gas without turning a wheel, I invested in some locking gas caps and guard dog. Now, my Ex gets around 19 mpg and my pickup doesn't burn any gas at all sitting in the driveway. :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks for all the suggestions now how exactly do i go about cleaning the maf without causing damage?

Back