• Register Today It's free!

Gas octane requirement

Dakotagypsy

Reaction score
City, State
Kyle, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer Limited
Just bought my 2020 Explorer Limited. The manual says to use minimum 87 octane gas but then recommends premium gas. How many of you use 87 octane regular.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It says it will run on 87 as a minimum octane. If you want to get the best out of the engine, they recommend 91 octane. You can use either. I ran 87 for several months in my 2017 Platinum but switched to 91. Can't say I've really noticed much of a difference in performance but then I don't drive it hard.
I don't believe the extra cost is covered by any gains in mileage but then I don't drive a lot so it doesn't really bother me.

Peter

It says it will run on 87 as a minimum octane. If you want to get the best out of the engine, they recommend 91 octane. You can use either. I ran 87 for several months in my 2017 Platinum but switched to 91. Can't say I've really noticed much of a difference in performance but then I don't drive it hard.
I don't believe the extra cost is covered by any gains in mileage but then I don't drive a lot so it doesn't really bother me.

Peter
I just bought it two weeks ago so I don't have a long history but I drove it from Texas to Arizona and got 31.2 mpg on the highway. Getting low twenties in the city. Can't imagine increasing that by much.

I run 87 in my ST. No issues. IMHO, 93 isn't worth the extra cost per gal. FYI, the DPS runs 87 in the PIU's. They have no issue catching speeders. ;)

I run 87 in my ST. No issues. IMHO, 93 isn't worth the extra cost per gal. FYI, the DPS runs 87 in the PIU's. They have no issue catching speeders. ;)

If a high performance vehicle like yours has no issues with 87 octane, then I should stop spending more on the premium gas that I am using now. Will switch to 87 from next fill up

Are you still on 87? I am using 87 from day1. Thinking about should i change or not. Or switch between time to time

Are you still on 87? I am using 87 from day1. Thinking about should i change or not. Or switch between time to time
I'm not sure who this post is intended for but the last 2 members were last seen here on April 21, 2021.

Peter

Up to you. Using high quality premium is always good for turbo'd DI engines (Ford has fixed that for the most part tho). I honestly dont think its been proven, but it just makes sense I guess. I use Chevron 91 simply because my engine is old and pretty tired... Again, might just be a myth. Higher octanes also give you better mpg (if driven responsibly ;);)). You can do the math to see if its even cost effective for you

I'm not sure who this post is intended for but the last 2 members were last seen here on April 21, 2021.

Peter

Thank you. Actually i was asking everybody :) I think there not "correct" answer.

Up to you. Using high quality premium is always good for turbo'd DI engines (Ford has fixed that for the most part tho). I honestly dont think its been proven, but it just makes sense I guess. I use Chevron 91 simply because my engine is old and pretty tired... Again, might just be a myth. Higher octanes also give you better mpg (if driven responsibly ;);)). You can do the math to see if its even cost effective for you

I am in TX and buy from Kroger or Shell. Today i filled up with 93 and cost nearly 15$ more. With 87 my average was 22mpg. I don't think it will go up to 29 30 :) I am planning to try a few tank with 93 and see the result. Maybe later try 91.

So the rated HP/TQ may not be attainable using 87 octane. What about fuel mileage? Will you get less MPG as a result, assuming driving style is the same?

So the rated HP/TQ may not be attainable using 87 octane. What about fuel mileage? Will you get less MPG as a result, assuming driving style is the same?
The ST is rated at 400hp with premium (91-93 octane). So yes, you are correct. Just depends on the manufacture and car, Ive seen some cars max HP/TQ rated at 87... And yes, while I havent tested it for my self, I would imagine you get less MPG on 87 than you would at 91 or 93. As long as you dont have a lead foot obviously.

I believe that all advertized HP/TQ numbers from Ford had riders saying they were attained by using 93 octane. The premium grades are recommended for towing and for hot weather driving as well, according to some members.

Peter

Advertised HP/TQ is using 93 octane per the information from Ford. (This holds true across the entire ecoboost engine lineup in all vehicles except the F150 non-raptor engines).

We've used 87 octane E10 or 88 octane E15 nearly exclusively in our 21 Explorer with no concerns or complaints. If we used the Explorer to tow, I'd run premium then (as I do in my F150 when towing), but otherwise the performance gain isn't worth the extra cost in my opinion.

..................................................., but otherwise the performance gain isn't worth the extra cost in my opinion.
Agreed.

For the last 2 tank i used 93. Paid %30 more to gas and gain %10 on milage so it does not worth it. But the car is more alive specially on eco mode.

With 87 sometimes the car like piling up or suffocating. With 93 i didnt feel anything like it.

The gas stations (Petro-Canada) that I use have 87, 89, 91 and 94 octane gasoline. Each has its own levels of engine cleaning properties called Tactrol. The difference between regular and premium is about $1.30 CDN for a Imperial gallon which is about 1.20 U.S. gallons.
I use 91 basically for its extra cleaning properties and slightly better performance in warmer/hot weather.

Peter

Update,
With 89 i pay %15 more and millage also increased %15. I drive nearly everyday same route, same hour same conditions. Only the weather is getting hotter

Back