Premium Fuel?

Lazzman

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Sport 4wd- V6 Sohc
My Diablosport delta chip has three adjustable settings- High, Low and off.

The high setting which I keep it in all the time is supposed to be run on Premium pump gas. I have used regular, premuim and Plus and seem to get the best performance from the 89 octane Plus gas. I get the worst performance from the Super 93 octane, except at high rpm ranges at WOT. In the midrange area the super does not seem to perform as well.

When I had the chip tuned on the Dyno I had regular 87 octane in the tank, no matter how far the calibrator adjusted the timing curve he could not get the truck to Knock, so apparently its ok for me to run 87 octane with the chip in high mode- thats what he said anyway.

My question is do running chips and Flashers always require premium fuel to get the most from them? Should I have my chip re-calibrated with Premium 93 octane fuel?

My truck has always run crappy on Super unleaded since it was new.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Lazz, It all depends on what the chip is tuned for... So my response would be if your three settings don't have much spark advance dialed into the tune then there wouldn't be any need for premium fuel. Just because you have premium fuel doesn't mean that you will have better performance for the particular tune in question. Octane "slows" or "controls" the fuels "burn rate" and allows it to have a resistance to detonation (pre ignition). So if you run 93 fuel in a car that is mapped for 87 then theoretically it would slow down.. Have seen this on bone stock mustangs many times. If you don't need 93 then don't run it.

At the current gas prices, I don't think the average person wants to pay over $3.50 a gallon just to get a mild performance increase which isn't noticeable, if there is even a mild increase at all.

I would be leery of a chip that is designed for 93 gas that runs better with 89 or even 87. Some of my 93 tunes run like crap on 87 and not much better on 89.

However, if the chip is designed for 87 it should run fine on 93 or 89; I have dyno data to support that.

That chip of yours may be a major part of your problems. Have you tried an SCT flash tune?

moving to Computer/Chip section

-Drew

My chip is a Diablosport the best Ford chip going.

Doug from Bama suggested I get a chip and dyno tune instead of a flasher.

Chip is not designed for 93 octane. It has a high advance setting that requires premium gas on some cars that detonate, mine does not and never did when the tuner was calibrating it. I've tried all octanes of gas 87, 89, 91 and 93 and it runs best on 89 octane. It does not run bad on any of the others just runs the best on 89, more responsive.

My truck no longer has issues since I replaced the Alternator. FULL POWER BABY.

Lazzman said:
My chip is a Diablosport the best Ford chip going. .

Really? I have never heard anyone say that. Many generaly regard SCT as the better product for Fords; the argument is in the tuner not the product. Why? Have you compared it to other tuning products on the market? Who told you that?

Doug from Bama suggested I get a chip and dyno tune instead of a flasher..

When was this? Why did he recommend a chip?

Chip is not designed for 93 octane. It has a high advance setting that requires premium gas on some cars that detonate, mine does not and never did when the tuner was calibrating it. I've tried all octanes of gas 87, 89, 91 and 93 and it runs best on 89 octane. It does not run bad on any of the others just runs the best on 89, more responsive..

Sounds liker a do it all wonder chip.

Yup, it is....

Back