gas tank filler tube?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

gas tank filler tube??

Reaction score
City, State
Carpinteria, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 Sport
I am having a leak problem in my gas tank fill tube. I want to just replace it but I cant find anyone who just sells the rubber tube for the 1st Gen explorer. they all have the filler neck included. Any info on where to get an new one will help. Thanks.

1991 Explorer Sport.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good luck with that, the rubber tube is a real oddball cone shaped thing, probably a dealer-only item (if you can find one). Be glad you don't need a filler neck, they are a few hundred dollars new.

Best bet is get one from someone parting out on the forum. They'll probably even include the filler neck, gas cap, and all hardware for cheap. You should be able to use the rubber tube for just about any 91-98, the filler neck and cap changed but I don't think the tube is any different.

Salvage yards would be a good source as well, but they may want quite a bit considering the price of the new part.

Why not try a place like mcmaster carr? I'm sure they would have a fuel rated hose that would work.

Whats up,
Speaking from experience your best bet and the easiest way to get one is a local junk yard. pulling just the gas tube from a junker will probably damage the gas tube because of rust ect..

When you find one that is not damaged undo the tubing from the gas tank, you will have to get a firm grip on that tube and try and twist it while you pull on it. that will break the natural seal the tubing makes over time and eliminate the possibility of damaging the replacement tubing.

Once you disconnect from the gas tank unscrew the three screws inside the gas door, and make sure you disconnect the ground coming off the filler neck. just remove the whole assembly as a whole. you will save a bunch of time. i have pictures if you need them.

- Dano

If you do need a new upper tube, 1aauto.com sells them for a lot less than a couple hundred...

I found a good used pair for like $40 online, now I have no leaks in the system. Until this one wears out.....

Back