• Register Today It's free!

Gas Tanks

explorer99sport

Reaction score
City, State
Charleston, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Ford Explorer Sport
I have a 99 Explorer Sport stock with a 17.5 gallon tank and i was wondering if i could fit the 21 gallon on it with no problems?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well let me see...

It will not physically fit...The tank is longer by a few inches...Inches the Sport chassis does not have to mount the longer tank into...

Is your Sport tank dirty, rusty and just in bad shape? I used POR-15 after getting mine boiled out by a radiator shop and the fuel stays as clean in the tank as what come out of the filter into the injection system..

Before I had a problem with dirt and rust making the fuel from the tank look like coffee going into the fuel filter...That eventually killed my fuel pump as the filter sock in the tank does not filter the garbage in the fuel all that well...

Is your Sport tank dirty, rusty and just in bad shape? I used POR-15 after getting mine boiled out by a radiator shop and the fuel stays as clean in the tank as what come out of the filter into the injection system..

Before I had a problem with dirt and rust making the fuel from the tank look like coffee going into the fuel filter...That eventually killed my fuel pump as the filter sock in the tank does not filter the garbage in the fuel all that well...
Ummm... original pster didn't mention dirt, rust or anything like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

Ummm... original pster didn't mention dirt, rust or anything like that.
Posted via Mobile Device

True, but I doubt anybody would be thinking about replacing a perfectly good fuel tank, just to gain 3.5 gallons of capacity. So, a problem with the tank is kinda "implied" or assumed. (yeah, yeah, I know what that means. :rolleyes: )

So the bigger tank will not fit at all? Are there after market ones that are bigger for the sport?

When I couldn't find a decent used tank for my Sport I tried to fit a 4 door tank in its place... The line opening didn't line up and when I raised it to attach the strap the tank hit the shock mount on the rear axle I believe... It wasn't a good time actually since none of the mounting points lined up, the tank opening was further toward the rear of the truck and the supply/vapor lines would not fit and finally the tank make contact with the rear end as I raised it into place...

First my rant.
The larger tanks are 22 gallons, not 21 or 21.5 or whatever some book says. The large tanks are all 22 gallons. Every Ford I have ever owned has had a 22 gallon tank, and I've put over 22 gallons in every single one. I hate myths.

Now to the OP, you can install an older pre-1995 Explorer 22 gallon tank in your 95+ Sport. It is not simple or easy, but it will fit.

The older 4dr. gas tanks are the exact same length as the newer Sport gas tanks. The older tanks are all plastic, and as such they are molded to fit the space in the truck better. The later tanks are all steel and have lots of wasted space, they take up more room. The older tanks do not have a pressure sensor of some kind that the newer tanks do. The old type of fuel pump sending unit have to be used in the plastic tanks.

I have my old 93 4dr. tank from my 93 Limited, and a 99 Sport tank that I was going to use in my Mountaineer for a TOD BW4406 TC conversion. These tanks are the exact same length. I bought a 99 Sport tank mounting/skid plate, that fits my old 22 gallon tank perfectly. I shall figure out how to swap the newer sensor into the old tank, and use it in my 98 Mountaineer. I already bought a new fuel pickup and installed a Walbro 255lt/hr pump in it.

Give me a chance to work on the plastic tank, and I'll document it in my BW4406 swap. I've got to rebuild my trans first, then I'll yank out the old parts. Regards,

has anyone tried to swap tanks between two first gens and been successful? ie swap in a 1st gen 4 door tank into 1st gen sport. I think I may have a small leaking problem in my sport and I happen to have a 4 door tank laying around. dropping tanks is a pain and if someone has already attempted it would save me some time.

The pre 95's have a front gas tank bracket that is much harder to work with than the later models. Yours is riveted to the frame, so it's not easy just to remove it, let alone mount it forward from there. You should take measurements of your two tanks, and see how much space is needed ahead of your stock tank. Regards,

Back