• Register Today It's free!

Gas to use in ST

Can I use 87 Octane fuel?

• Best fuel to use

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • Will 87 run OK

Votes: 13 61.9%

• Total voters
87 oct is down to $1.64 gl here. Gonna see what happens. As long as I don't issues, for around town, I'll keep using it. Simply switch in advance of any planned highway trips.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What octane are we all running now that the price difference between regular and premium is so significant?

No offense but if it is not programmed for it, it does nothing for it except waste money. 93 will not run better on a 87 tune.

It does because the engine knock sensors pull timing and boost to allow 87 to run without damage. Higher octane allows for full rated power.

It does because the engine knock sensors pull timing and boost to allow 87 to run without damage. Higher octane allows for full rated power.

The post I quoted was someone who runs 93 in everything they own. I was stating if the engine is designed for 87, running ,93 does nothing

I mentioned in post 3 and 51 that ours require 93 for the max power rating. :thumbsup:

I fed my Escape 93 exclusively during the time I had it. Exception: my wife and daughter drove it from Florida to Colorado in 2021. My wife grumbled about "having" to use 93, so I had her try mid-grade for two tanks. The cost-per-mile increased significantly, more that I would have guessed and more than Premium, so she went back to Premium. She was surprised there was so much difference.

When we drove it back, it was fed Premium for every tank and used one tank fewer to get back to Florida on a longer route. Best mpg was nearly 30. Moral: 87 would seem to be OK for day-to-day commuting and errands (where the torque is nearly the same), but Premium will take you farther on a gallon when running on the interstate @ 80+ (needing more power to fight wind resistance).

What octane are we all running now that the price difference between regular and premium is so significant?
Not an ST but the same engine. I am continuing to use 91 octane. The price is what it is and won't prevent me from using it. But then I only fill up about once a month, if that. ;)

Peter

I'm thinking of using hydrazine. Might be cheaper nowadays.

Back