Gather, my brothers, and hear my tale of woe | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gather, my brothers, and hear my tale of woe

Blackout2017

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Vegas, baby!
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Sport Shadow 401A
Aug 25 2022 – Driving to work in the morning, my 2017 Explorer Sport slows to a stop on the side of the freeway and the engine dies. I called CarMax, and they called for a tow. [Thieving Criminal Towing] called me for the location. When I told them where I was, they said that I was only authorized for a tow up to 30 miles, and since I was farther than 30 miles away from the shop authorized by CarMax, I’d have to pay the difference. I said okay and gave them my credit card info. It took the driver 8 hours to get to the vehicle. In that time, my credit card was used to attempt a purchase at an Apple Store in another state. Also, I checked the distance to the auto shop, and the vehicle was towed 6 miles. [Thieving Criminal Towing] charged me $37.50. My bank did not charge me to cancel my credit card and issue a new one.

Aug 26 2022 – Auto shop determines that the catalytic convertors are burned out and that is not covered by the CarMax warranty, but it is covered by the Ford warranty. I pay to have the vehicle towed to [Huge Procrastinator Ford Dealership]. [Apparently Honest Towing Company] charged me $89.40 to tow it 8 miles to [Huge Procrastinator Ford Dealership], who verifies that I need new catalytic convertors, which unfortunately are on backorder at the factory. I check online and see that there is a three-month hold on orders. I talk with a service rep at CarMax and ask why the cats aren’t covered. I said that when I bought the vehicle, I asked for the best warranty they had. They said “We don’t have a ‘best’ warranty, just a longer one.”

Nov 22 2022 – I get a text from [Huge Procrastinator Ford Dealership] that my vehicle is ready for pick-up. I call to verify and they say that they just switched to a new software program and it is sending out random messages to customers. Sorry about that.

Dec 01 2022 – I receive a voice mail from [Huge Procrastinator Ford Dealership] that the parts I’ve been waiting for have arrived. I call back to verify and my service tech says that it must have been a mistake because he’s looked everywhere and they aren’t there. Sorry about that.

Feb 20 2023 – My service tech calls me to say that the new catalytic convertors arrived and have been installed. I also need a Charge Air Cooler tube from the bank 1 turbo to the intercooler, which will arrive tomorrow. I also need a new battery. I told him the battery was brand new and fine. He said he’d look into it.

Feb 27 2023 – I receive a call that it’s “not shifting right” and they want permission to put $20 worth of gas into the tank to drive it around to test the shifting.

Mar 01 2023 – I stopped at the shop to have a face-to-face conversation with someone. My service tech says it needs a high-pressure fuel pump, and he can have the part tomorrow. He also says that the battery is fine and doesn’t need to be replaced. When I ask him to explain what has been happening with the vehicle up to now, he says “Hey, I’m just a service tech. I’m not a mechanic. I’m just reading what it says here in the file.” He printed me a two-page work order that included Skill 01 Tune - Approved, High Pressure Fuel Pump R & R (remove and replace?) - Submitted, and a note that it was observed that a CAC tube was “blown out” and recommended replacing. Also included was Labor Hrs 2.0 and Labor Price $385.86 (so $192.93 per hour? for all the work they’ve done in six months?). The shop foreman spoke to me and said that he would look into the situation and get back with me tomorrow.

Mar 02 2023 – The service tech called and said CarMax approved the high-pressure fuel pump but he has to wait for payment from them, and also I need to pay a $200 deductible.

Mar 06 2023 – The service tech called and said “I wish I had better news.” The high-pressure fuel pump is installed, but the Check Engine light is coming on and there’s “a noise” during the test drive.

Mar 09 2023 – The service tech called. The new catalytic convertors have burned out and need to be replaced again. It seems that the old high-pressure pump is what ruined the original cats, and they replaced the cats before they replaced the fuel pump, so the old fuel pump burned out the new cats. The parts department says they’ll have a new set by next week.

Mar 17 2023 – The service tech called. The new cats are in, and they’ll start the installation this afternoon. Assuming no more problems (ha ha), they just need to collect payment from CarMax to release the vehicle to me.

Mar 24 2023 – The service tech called. Everything is put together and they’ve received payment from CarMax… however the Check Engine light is back on and the vehicle doesn’t accelerate well at high speed. They have it in a bay, “high priority,” but they may have to take the engine apart to find the problem.

Mar 30 2023 – The shop foreman called (29 days after saying he’d call me the next day). Everything is done, all parts installed. He took it for a test drive and got it up to high speed, and it started throwing codes and it went into limp mode. It’s misfiring on three cylinders. He wants to close out the work order and start a new one. I owe $660.50 in deductibles for the first work order, which needs to be paid before he can open the new one. He texted me a link to make the payment and a link to the invoice to see what work needs to be done. I clicked on the invoice link and the link is broken.

Mar 31 2023 – I clicked on the payment link sent yesterday and that link is also broken. They texted me a new link and I made the payment. They texted me a link for a feedback survey. I clicked and the link is broken.

Apr 14 2023 – They texted me a link for me to approve a $1,081.59 + tax charge for “EXTRA TIME TO TEAR DOWN FOR INSPECTION OF FUEL RAIL AND BANK 1 INJECTORS.”

Apr 17 2023 – The service tech called to ask if I was going to pay the fee for the tear-down. I said it’s been eight months and they keep finding new problems for me to pay for. He said that most of that time was waiting for the catalytic convertors. I reminded him that they showed up eight weeks ago. I said that I’d come in later today to talk with the shop foreman.

Later that day… The service tech called back. Good news! He said he’d spoken with the shop foreman and they’re going to cover the $1,081.59 (+ tax) tear-down fee.

May 02 2023 – I called and spoke with the shop foreman. He said that they’d tested for metal in the fuel, even though he felt it was unlikely, and sure enough there was none. Now he’s going to inspect the cylinders to see if they are leaking. He said the test should take a day or two.

May 10 2023 – I asked for a private meeting with the shop foreman. I asked him if a Ford vehicle in a Ford service shop at a Ford dealership being worked on by Ford certified mechanics having access to all Ford parts and the entire database of Ford information should take most of a year to fix, and didn't he consider it a point of pride that if he is the foreman of the shop that maybe he should assign as many mechanics as needed to get it diagnosed and fixed as quickly as possible and back to the owner. I said that even not knowing what could possibly be the problem, an entire vehicle could be built by hand part by part in less time. He said that he has hundreds of vehicles on the lot and there are at least half a dozen in the same boat with me. I did not find this reassuring. Getting back to the actual issues, he said the cylinder leak test showed 5%, which is well below concern as brand new vehicles can show up to 20%. Now he’s going to switch the three fuel injectors which are throwing codes, and he should know if that’s the fix by end of day in two days (Note in the large edit below that a mechanic actually recommended this two months ago). He’s also calling a Ford Field Service Engineer to come take a look if that’s still needed after that. He also hooked me up with a loaner vehicle. He also gave me a coupon for a free car wash.

May 12 2023 – The shop foreman called. Everything’s fixed. Rather than switching the three fuel injectors to see if the codes followed them, he just replaced them and they’re working properly now. He said she’s putting out a “s**t ton of power.” He’ll test drive it some more tomorrow and Monday. He didn’t get prior approval from CarMax before replacing the fuel injectors so he needs both approval and payment from them.

May 22 2023 – I called the shop foreman and left a message to ask about the status. No return call from him.

May 24 2023 – I got a call from the service tech. The vehicle is done and ready to go. All remaining costs are covered by either CarMax or the extended Ford warranty so there are no additional costs other than what I’ve already paid. I told him exactly what time I would be there. Knowing that a customer was coming to pick up a vehicle that had been on their lot for most of a year, neither my service tech nor the shop foreman made themselves available. After waiting several minutes for anyone to acknowledge my presence, I approached a service tech unknown to myself. She called for my vehicle to be brought up and then handed me a final screen-print from the service department software. No invoice, no receipt, no signature required. I handed over the keys to the loaner, which of course now had a full tank of gas, and drove off in my vehicle which was freshly washed and with an empty tank. I filled her up on the way home: $74.36.

265 days at [Huge Procrastinator Ford Dealership].

Work I was told was done but is not necessarily mentioned on any documents that I've been given:
- Replaced two catalytic convertors, twice
- Replaced CAC tube
- Replaced O2 sensor(s?)
- Replaced high-pressure fuel pump
- Replaced 3 fuel injectors

I paid $860.50 in deductibles. I declined paying for a new battery, and I had a $1,081.59 tear-down fee waived after I questioned it. The vehicle was driven 140 miles while in-shop. They waited 8 ½ months to give me a loaner vehicle, and I only had it for two weeks. Service History on the FordPass app shows $4,058.14 in services provided since 08/31/2022. The “invoice” I was given at pick-up appears to be another screenshot from the in-house service tracking program; the work shown as done is “Ford MPVI Tracking,” “Check engine light/loss of power during fast acceleration,” “EXTRA TIME TO TEAR DOWN FOR INSPECTION OF FUEL RAIL AND BANK” (billed at $1,081.59) and “NEED TO REMOVE AND REPLACE ALL FUEL INJECTORS ON BANK 1” (billed at $1,116.45); because of the way the form is printed, I cannot see labor hours, labor rate, bill rate, or bill hours, but total labor price is shown as $77.00 (or 23 minutes of labor per previous calculations for all work done since the last work order was closed out on March 31); the only other work shown as done is the car wash. There is no receipt for any payments that I made. There is no comprehensive invoice or list of all work done, or parts replaced, or who paid for it, which is needed for complete maintenance records. The Ford 5-year extended warranty expired while the vehicle was in the shop.

Bonus:
- Last year I had a 5-year-old vehicle with 38k miles. This year I have a 6-year-old vehicle with 38k miles.
- Lotsa new parts, whether I needed them or not.
- Free car wash.

Super Fun Time Edit:

[Huge Procrastinator Ford Dealership] has a customer portal on their website. Checking there I found four documents that I was never provided copies of:

The first is an invoice for $2,289.95 for the Skill 01 Tune, $1,080 in labor, remove and replace fuel injectors (two months before they remembered and actually did it), and several small parts that were never mentioned to me (gaskets, hex nuts, fluids, etc.). "Promise Time: Sat Apr 1, 2023 | 7:00 PM" - haha. On this invoice is a place for my signature. That line is oddly blank.

The second document shows the results of a multi-point inspection, with a repair estimate of $5,037.59. On this estimate is a place for my signature. That line is also blank.

The third document is a receipt for a payment from a credit card that I don't own for a payment of $2,289.95 that I did not make, and a remaining balance due of $55.78 that as far as I am aware I do not owe. Also another blank signature line.

The fourth document is an estimate for $240.67 for the Skill 01 Tune, which is possibly my deductible for either the $2,289.95 for the tune or the $1,080.00 labor cost, or both, mentioned on the first document, and is not the actual amount that I paid for the deductible. Please note that none of these or any other numbers add up.

If anyone can make any sense out of this, I'll buy you a hot pretzel at the mall.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Could have went to automotive school and got an ASE certification in that time and money spent 🤣

I hear horror stories about CarMax all the time so I can't really say I am surprised

Doesn't seem to me that Carmax was at fault for most of this. Terrible service and a shady tow company to start with.

Something doesn't add up though. I can believe that bad fuel injectors burnt up the cats, but at a high enough rate of misfires to do this, you should have had a check engine light on and code set, and running pretty badly for long enough to notice.

The shop should have made it job 1, on day 1, to find the cause of the burnt up cats, not sit on it for months. You (they) don't just put new cats on a 5 year old vehicle without finding the cause and fixing it first as it is obviously a waste of time and yet then they burnt them out again, probably joyriding around? Incredible.

Metal in the fuel? That's just made up, there are filters in gas station pumps, a strainer on your pump, a filter on the fuel line, just no. At the same time, I can believe that a 1/2 year+ old tank of gas, especially if E10 or higher blend, turned to varnish and it shouldn't have been ran on it.

There's just too much that went wrong. I suspect you are cursed. Don't walk under ladders or cross a black cat's path for a while. After all the monkeying around that has happened, I'd be wanting to sell the vehicle, maybe see if Carmax will buy it back for price paid considering all you've been through, or contact a lawyer and see if there's anything they can do for your situation.

Free car wash but that's because it probably sat with grime all over it for months at a time.

Could have went to automotive school and got an ASE certification in that time and money spent 🤣
Okay I don't care who you are that's just funny right there.

I hear horror stories about CarMax all the time so I can't really say I am surprised
Honestly this one is on the Ford service department. CarMax wasn't super helpful at the beginning, but they covered everything that the dealership asked them to.

Doesn't seem to me that Carmax was at fault for most of this. Terrible service and a shady tow company to start with.

Something doesn't add up though. I can believe that bad fuel injectors burnt up the cats, but at a high enough rate of misfires to do this, you should have had a check engine light on and code set, and running pretty badly for long enough to notice.

The shop should have made it job 1, on day 1, to find the cause of the burnt up cats, not sit on it for months. You (they) don't just put new cats on a 5 year old vehicle without finding the cause and fixing it first as it is obviously a waste of time and yet then they burnt them out again, probably joyriding around? Incredible.

Metal in the fuel? That's just made up, there are filters in gas station pumps, a strainer on your pump, a filter on the fuel line, just no. At the same time, I can believe that a 1/2 year+ old tank of gas, especially if E10 or higher blend, turned to varnish and it shouldn't have been ran on it.

There's just too much that went wrong. I suspect you are cursed. Don't walk under ladders or cross a black cat's path for a while. After all the monkeying around that has happened, I'd be wanting to sell the vehicle, maybe see if Carmax will buy it back for price paid considering all you've been through, or contact a lawyer and see if there's anything they can do for your situation.

Free car wash but that's because it probably sat with grime all over it for months at a time.
Amen to all of that except for the selling it part. I think an O2 sensor went bad, which caused the cats to burn out. No big mystery and no curse of the lemon on my vehicle. Then they took 9.5 months of farting around and blamed it on supply chain issues. The dealership made way, way too many mistakes between the incorrect diagnoses, wrong order of repair, lack of paperwork, and overall terrible communication.

Now she runs like a top and looks almost as pretty as me. She's a keeper, knock on wood.

Stealership
Next time take it to a further away ford dealer or heck try a Lincoln dealer they score higher ratings in customer satisfaction

Sorry for your troubles 265 days in the shop while you were probably Making payments

This is the kind of thing that happened to me 25 years ago…
Now I do all my own work even exhaust and alignments

i

these the folks that give auto repair in general a bad rap, dealer, independent, etc

O2 sensor can fail and cause it to run a little rich, but that too, would have set off a check engine light and set a trouble code... would not cause misfires as once the sensor is out of range, the engine reverts to closed loop mode if an upstream sensor fails but if downstream, nothing much happens besides the code set, AFAIK.

It could very well be that the same unburnt fuel that burnt out the cats, also damaged one or both upstream O2 sensors but that would be a result rather than cause of all this.

The main problem now is, if they can't even get the repair procedure right to diagnose it and burnt up the same parts too, I am highly suspect of the work they did, and the more things they touched, the more they may have screwed up in a way that seems okay now but will bite you in the behind later on.

If you love the vehicle, I would sell it and get another of same but that hasn't been molested this many times, this long by an incompetent shop that spent more time joy riding around in it than repairing it... remember, it wasn't running right, so why the heck were they still driving it around, or if all the miles were only after it was fixed, why that many dozens of miles THEN? It's a crazy tale. Your 3rd set of cats may already be half burnt up again.

Plus if much of this shows up on a carfax report, it has probably damaged the resale value which you shouldn't have to bear after all that has already happened, so I would seek to get carmax to buy it back for the price paid. There are plenty of Explorers out there, shouldn't be hard to find a replacement but that's just me. If you're happy with the vehicle now, it's not on me to second guess it, though you might just be feeling relief that you finally got it back and then later on, doubts creep up...

Remember that it's abnormal in the first place for any of this to have happened on a 5 year old vehicle with only 38K mi. on it. Makes me wonder if prior owner had problems and that's why they sold it to carmax. Then again, covid turned vehicle prices upside down, some people were paid more by carmax than they originally paid for their vehicles new. Crazy times.

I have so many questions.... The Ford dealer is completely incompetent or is criminal. None of what they did makes remote sense in component failure, component diagnosis, and component replacement.

It seems that many dealerships are having unqualified personnel working on these vehicles instead of really well trained ones (I am the one that left a Ford Dealership with no bolts holding the rear brake caliper on after new brakes were installed), so I too have experienced on-the-job training.

^ Doesn't seem like a mechanic would have to be especially qualified to merely get a caliper bolted back on, more like distracted, extremely busy, on drugs, etc. Granted you have a point, they're using their lowest trained, lowest paid grunts to do entry level work like a brake job.

I don't see where you listed that they charged you for shop supplies or an EPA fee so they went in dry. I'd love to own a new car but what happened to you would be exactly what would happen to me.

I still don't understand how the dealer went to replace cats repair from won't start complaint. Do you have any further info on it? And then why didn't they determine what caused the cats to fail? Further still how did they come to the conclusion the fuel pump caused the cats to fail? And why did they believe the CAC tube failed? It is literally a piece of plastic pipe. It doesn't go bad or wear out. Did somebody damage it? None of what they did makes sense.

I still don't understand how the dealer went to replace cats repair from won't start complaint. Do you have any further info on it? And then why didn't they determine what caused the cats to fail? Further still how did they come to the conclusion the fuel pump caused the cats to fail? And why did they believe the CAC tube failed? It is literally a piece of plastic pipe. It doesn't go bad or wear out. Did somebody damage it? None of what they did makes sense.
The lack of communication was surpassed only by the lack of documentation. A truly astounding feat of automotive razzle dazzle.

Sad story. I once received a $2,000 plus refund from a Ford dealership due to their incompetence of a repair. Long-story-short, they did a major repair, failed to test drive afterwards because the problem was still there and later after extensive painful dialogue found out that the problem was a sensor. With that said, excellent documentation, if you don't work in a human resources department, you have the qualifications to do so 😊

Back