Gauge cluster chime/electrical problems. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gauge cluster chime/electrical problems.

nantoman36

Reaction score
City, State
GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Limited
What's up everyone! (2003 Explorer) Here's the situation. I was real tired of hearing the chime go off every time I put the key in the ignition, or wanted to keep them in while not running. So I removed my gauge cluster, located that annoying chime, and pulled it off(not sure if that was the best way to remove it, but Im a guy). Put it all back and tested it and no more chime, so I was happy about that. But now it turned into another problem. Power windows, cd player and the digital lights on the gauge, odometer, etc... aren't working. I checked every single fuse on the drivers side box near the hood release and none are blown. I checked all the fuses on the box under the hood that you can actually see, not sure about the solid black fuses that you can't see the wire inside. I'm not sure what else to do from here. Anyone else ever experience something like this? Well thanks in advance!!!

Andy

What's up everyone! (2003 Explorer) Here's the situation. I was real tired of hearing the chime go off every time I put the key in the ignition, or wanted to keep them in while not running. So I removed my gauge cluster, located that annoying chime, and pulled it off(not sure if that was the best way to remove it, but Im a guy). Put it all back and tested it and no more chime, so I was happy about that. But now it turned into another problem. Power windows, cd player and the digital lights on the gauge, odometer, etc... aren't working. I checked every single fuse on the drivers side box near the hood release and none are blown. I checked all the fuses on the box under the hood that you can actually see, not sure about the solid black fuses that you can't see the wire inside. I'm not sure what else to do from here. Anyone else ever experience something like this? Well thanks in advance!!!

Andy

Welcome aboard Andy! :salute:

Are you sure that you reconnected everything? It's possible that the chime is required to be installed in order to power the items you are having trouble with.

Here is a great thread for removing/replacing the instrument cluster: http://explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=218636

update

Well I did get the issue resolved. I bought a new instrument cluster off of ebay, hooked it up and everything went back to normal. I guess the power to the power seats/windows and cd player first runs through the instrument panel so if there is some kind of problem with it, the power will stop there and not go any further. Thanks for the response BigRondo!

Andy

You're welcome. Glad you got it fixed. :biggthump
Posted via Mobile Device

Back