• Register Today It's free!

Gear Indicator Light Replacement

BSK713

Reaction score
City, State
Pearl River, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2008 Ford Explorer XLT
How do I replace the light (bulb) for the Gear indicator on my 2008 Explorer XLT?
I've opened up the center console, and find no bulb. There's a white plastic 'bezel' (?) that the indicator rides on, and there's a connector (white and black wire) that seem to connect underneath to it, but I don't see how a bulb could fit under there, and I can't get the connnector off anyway.
I've looked on You Tube and Google, but there's limited help that doesn't seem to apply to 2008. Any ideas out there?
Thanks!

Pull up the chromed trim ring around the gear selector, and then remove the center console w/cupholders etc. There are two 7mm screws under the center console armrest, and then that piece pulls up. Make sure you unplug the 12V power plug jack. Then remove the black bezel around the gearshift lever (it has plastic slots at each of the four corners). Underneath is a twist-n-turn light bulb. There is another thread with a post by me with the bulb size that was in my 2006 XLT as it was different than what the collective told me to use. Replace the bulb and replace the pieces-and-parts in reverse order.

PS -- Don't forget to plug the 12V accessory jack back in when you pop the piece with cupholders back in....

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=402155

Back