Gear oil capacity for 1999 Explorer 373 Limited Slip? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear oil capacity for 1999 Explorer 373 Limited Slip?

vetgal12

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Eddie Bauer
I did a quick search for this but really couldn't find a difinitive answer. My 99 Explorer V-8, has 175k miles on it. It has a 373 limited slip. I had to replace the rear diff cover because it was rotted, and was starting to leak. Unfortunately, the fill bung is so corroded, that there's no way to get a ratchet in it. I tried cleaning it out, but it has literally changed shape. I purchased a new cover, and gasket, and put a self tapping oil plug in the upper right hand section. It was the only place where there was clearance. I need to know what the capacity is, since i don't have the use of the fill bung. From what i've seen, it going to be between 2.5, and 3 quarts. Does anyone have the exact number? Don't want to underfill, it, and certainly not overfill it. Thanks..............

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

From Factory Manual

Hi vetgal12,
My 1999 Ford Manual says the V-8 cars with Traction-Lock use 75W140 full synthetic lube and require 5.5-5.8 pints. There have been some revisions of the weight of oil used since this was printed and someone else may pipe in on the latest viscosity of the lube.
Mike

there is no exact number. buy 3 quarts. mine took every bit of 3 quarts to fill from completely empty. you'll know when it's full when you can't get any more in it, because it will start to dribble out the fill hole.

BTW, the current spec is 75w140 full synthetic for the rear diff (+ Ford friction modifier for the rear LSD) and 80w90 hypoid gear oil for the front dif if 4wd/AWD.

This isn't the 99 Superlifted truck is it? Blue/tan that was just sold from Jersey?

Never mind, doubt it is, just saw your join date.

Back