• Register Today It's free!

gear shift lever and o/d

heathmo

Reaction score
City, State
Davenport, IA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Sport
Probably should have asked this a while ago, but seeing as it's frickin freezing here in IA, just got another nice snow blast, but wasn't terrible. I will still probably wait to fix it, but I was wondering if the O/D light not coming on when I push the button was related to the fact that my shift lever is about a gear off, N is R, 2 is D, D is N. I have the Chilton so I know how to fix that, but if by chance anybody knows where the heck do you get a 3lb weight to hang off the lever? I read that the O/D could be a fuse or the bulb, I haven't actually checked to see if it turns off or not on the highway. I'm not doing any towing right now so I'm not super worried about it, but it's a slight annoyance that I'd like to fix when weather is permitting. Thanks in advance for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

in both our explorers, the O/D light on the shift levers don't turn on, I figure its just the bulb, haven't torn it apart yet. Don't know if it could be effected with your issue or not, but I'd imagine not, does the light on the cluster come on when the o/d is off?

nope, no indicators come on at all. I have used the search and found most people found that it was a fuse or bulb. I just wasn't too sure if it could be affected by the position of the lever, like only being able to shut off O/D while in D or something like that. I did a quick read through in the manual. It only says that shutting off the vehicle will just reset it and put it back in O/D. But that makes sense that it may not be related problems. Had one fix that did fix my dome when I fixed the bent up rear end from the previous owner. All it was was that the liftgate wasn't closing all the way because of whatever he backed into. Kinda hoping for the same, but looks like it's two fixes instead of one. But if you have any ideas on that I'm open for advice.

Then I would check the bulb or fuse, I think my O/D light is on even if I would manually put it 2nd or 1st gear.

cool, thanks for the help. Now what the heck would Ford have called the fuse for that? It's got quite a bit of tranny and other stuff, but nothing specifically calling it O/D fuse.

I have no idea bout the fuses, but could be a coincidence too that both bulbs blew

Back