Gear Shift Stuck in Park | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gear Shift Stuck in Park

Sorry JB. If I'm hearing you correctly, you're saying that even when the interlock mechanism is fully retracted, you still can't pull it out of park.

As you can see, this thread has pretty much become dedicated to the interlock issue. I wouldn't wish your repair on anyone. Good luck!

YES YES, now you understand correctly! My hope is that one of the notches in the park pawl ring gear is damaged AND that it can be hand filed back to smooth. I can see how if you were still rolling forward and selected PARK before coming to a complete stop, that the park pawl could enter the notch and slam you to a stop and possibly dent the park pawl and/or ring gear notch....OR it could be as simple as a weak or broken park pawl return spring. If either of the above are true, I can drop the drive shaft and remove a few bolts to remove the rear transmission cover (this is a non wetted area) and gain access to all of the above and repair it. IF that park pawl ring gear needs replacing, the transmission would have to come out! .....more to come!

2010 Ford Explorer XLT, V6 2WD, ~19k (yes thats right, under 20k), gear shift lever is on the floor (center console), recently developed same problem -- stuck in "park", no "click" when I press brake pedal (brake lights work). Have to fidget it for minute or two before it finally clicks-when-brake-pedal-pressed and lets me shift to rear.

I'm not asking for help (yet :)) just reporting another occurrence, making note to myself about this extremely useful thread and most of all using an opportunity to say thanks for all the contributors! You guys are great. I'm sure I'll be able to fix it with all the info from this thread.

Back