• Register Today It's free!

gearing for 32 in.

oldbustedblue

Reaction score
City, State
west valley,utah
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 mazda navajo
i have 5 speed manual 3.73 gears.what would you think would be better i am thinking 4.56 every one ends up going bigger later.i have read searched for the past 2 weeks. now i need opinions.since still confused. as to why some are saying a auto will be ok with 4.10 but manual needs 4.56. thanks for your patience

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a 5 speed, 32s, and 4.56. On the highway at 70 MPH I'm turning 3000 RPM and guzzling gas. If you drive on the highway, I suggest 4.10. Which is great cause you can find a second gen with 4.10 and just swap in the whole rear axle for much improved braking.

3.73 to 4.10 isnt much of a jump, if you think you will go bigger, then you probably will and wish you had 4.56.

It's a lifted truck with a small engine, dont expect good mileage

Stay with what you have. Totally fine for the street, and passable for offroad.
If and when you go to larger tires, then change your gear ratio.

I have 4:56 and 33's perfectly happy-- only turn 2200 RPM @ 70

i am thinking 4.56 since i know i will lift it more later down the road i am sure gas mileage will go down a bit since my other truck a navajo has 3.27 with stock sized tires gets low to mid 20s when i am all freeway made it from my house to moab on 9 gallons 230 miles there

Before the lift and tires I was getting 20-22 MPG. It would take just over a 1/4 tank to drive 150 miles to my mom's house. Now I use over half a tank to make the same trip.

When I bought my gears, I thought I wanted 35s. But now I really like the way it sits. So when I wear out these tires I'll replace them with 33s, but no bigger. I hope it's big enough to get my RPM down to about 2300 @ 70.

I think 4.10s for 32"-33". 4.56s for 34"-35"

I love my 4.56s and 33s.

But I don't know what kind of mileage I get- I haven't had a tank of just driving in a looooooong time. But even still, my overall average is 18 mpg.

tweaked is that in 5th gear that your spinning the engine at that speed? i drive through quite a few mountain passes when i go hunting. parlies summit right now i can only take at 45mph always down shifting. usually in 3rd gear floored. make that pass about 10 to 15 times a year.

Yes, 5th gear on I-55 from Memphis to SE Missouri. Flat, long, boring drive.

wow maybe i will have to rethink this then since i really dont want to spin that fast.with the small amount that i drive it. it really hated the mountain pass today.are the tire gear ratio charts that far off.

Well if your going to drive it often under a high load (mountain roads) then the 4.56s might not be a bad idea. My mountaineer gets 15 mpg all city with 4.10s and stock tires but only gets 16-17 on the highway. Before it was 12 city 20 highway. I drive mostly around town so I actually have saved money on gas. Just food for thought

Well if your going to drive it often under a high load (mountain roads) then the 4.56s might not be a bad idea.

I do have to agree here. If I lived in the mountains it would be better. I would need the extra torque. But if you drive sustained 70+ MPH then the taller gears are better.

It's not all bad with these gears. I often tow, it helps towing in the city. Also consider that I have 32s now. 33s would be a marginally better fit.

I have the same combo in my 94 4 door. Mazda 5 speed, 3.73 gears. I run 31's on the street most of the time, and it has my odometer and speedo about right, and I started with 3.27's and 235/75/15's. I also run 33's on the road some and off-road. A little more throttle and a little more time between shifts and I am comfortable with it. Need to get them balanced so i can run the highway, but I can get up to 60 just fine, but hold it in 4th gear and have some get up and go left. Naturally it doesnt do the greatest here in the NC mountains, so a deeper gear would help. I think that with 4.10's I would be more than happy running the 33's year round.....ya know except for the related cost of replacing them when they wear out.

I think somebody's tach is off...

I have 2/3-bald 33" old-style MT/Rs that are only about 31.5" now and 4.10s and still wish I had 4.56s.
At 70 my RPMs are about 2300 in 5th gear.

after a long discussion pro and cons of doing this with my dad. I am going to go 4.56 since he made a very valid point twice on my jeep I had the gears done twice once for 33 and once when i went to 37 so i am going to gear it so in the future i only need tires. Thanks for your help.

i would have to say 456 is the right choice (thats what i am stepping up too) i run 33;s with 327 (YUP) and thats what i want because i will be moving up to 35-36 range in the near future

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would have to say 456 is the right choice (thats what i am stepping up too) i run 33;s with 327 (YUP) and thats what i want because i will be moving up to 35-36 range in the near future

I'd go 4.88s if your going larger than 33"

Back