• Register Today It's free!

gearing for 33s?

4x4rob

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT (Lo-HP edition)
what gear ratios should I use with 33x15.50x15 Super Swampers? My '91 4 door XLT currently has a 4.0l, 5spd, and 3.73s gears.

thanks.

Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

go with 4.56's... especially since u have a manual tranny

yup

4.56's or 4.88's if you plan on crawling.

Same deal, I want to regear for 33's but im getting 35's in the near future, plus i have an auto trans, what do you guys suggest?

321Explorer said:
Same deal, I want to regear for 33's but im getting 35's in the near future, plus i have an auto trans, what do you guys suggest?

4.88's and 5.13's if you want to crawl.

321Explorer said:

I'm on 33's with 4.56's and I could still use some more gear. If you're going to go with 35's, I just go right to 5.13's

I was considering 4.56s but due to the severe lack of umph (power), I'm leaning towards 4.88s. Besides, this is not a daily driver.

thanks everyone!

Rob

I'm replying to my own message but it looks like 4.88s are not available for the front axle. Is this correct? If so, my choice is either 4.56 or 5.13

Isn't the front end a Dana 35? Does it use reverse rotation gears, or not?

thanks.

The TTB Dana 35s use reverse rotation.

The next gen (IFS) do not.

Otherwise all Dana 35 parts fit as long as you get them for the same series carrier (there are two -- one has larger spider gears, but smaller diameter bearings, the other vice-versa). Many Jeep rear parts interchange.

BTW, I'm running 4.10s with 33s and would like more gear -- even for everyday driving. I'd go at least 4.56.

I'm using 5.13s in my Ranger project running 38 radial tsls that measure 37.5 actual.

4x4rob said:
I'm replying to my own message but it looks like 4.88s are not available for the front axle. Is this correct? If so, my choice is either 4.56 or 5.13

Isn't the front end a Dana 35? Does it use reverse rotation gears, or not?

thanks.

i was under the impression that they started making 4.88's for the first gen dana 35 sometime recently... or so i thought. otherwise maybe u should look into the 5.13's... would be no lack of power with that setup. u'd be running high rpm's at highways speeds but still actually is doable. gas will suck on the highway. city mileage would probably be decent considering how low it would be geared. considering u don't daily drive this and it sounds more like a offroad machine... it might not be a big deal.

4x4rob said:
I was considering 4.56s but due to the severe lack of umph (power), I'm leaning towards 4.88s. Besides, this is not a daily driver.

thanks everyone!

Rob

If it's not a DD, then might as well go 5:13 from the get go. That's what I'm running in my '91 Sport trail rig, and they spin the 33x12.5 boggers very well.

33x3.73/29=4.24 for like stock characteristics. So the next closest available would be 4.56. Precision gear makes 4.88, Yukon doesn't (4.56, or 5.13). Good luck

Would any of you EVER recommend 4.10's with 33's (and auto, 4.0 OHV)?

Or is it pretty much a good idea to go 4.56 or 5.13?

how would 4.10s do on the highway with 33s. i have an auto. right now i have 3.27s runnin 31s. going down the highway right now isn't too bad running at 70 but the take off is lacking. i mostly run mud and sand.

right now i run at 2200 rpms at about 70mph.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

holshotracer said:
how would 4.10s do on the highway with 33s. i have an auto. right now i have 3.27s runnin 31s. going down the highway right now isn't too bad running at 70 but the take off is lacking. i mostly run mud and sand.

As I said above, I have 4.56's with 33's and I still feel like I'm underpowered. I started out with 3.27's and the 33's and I just about had to get out and push. 4.10's would be better, but still will be severely underpowered for 33's.

Back