Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
No. Alabama USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Blue Ex 4.0 SOHC
Callsign
KAGG 3611 (CB)
I have searched here on Explorer Forum but I have not on Google. I really expected to find something having to do with ABS/brakes etc. I even searched my old posts and threads where I have asked questions before and something is not working right.
Now to the question. Can I unplug the power to/haress on my ABS module and the brakes function as if it wasn't equipped with ABS? My ABS light has been on indicating a bad sensor and several days ago I got in an "emergency braking situation" and the brakes locked up as if I didn't have ABS. I don't want to unplug it and create a dangerous situation.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes if you disable the ABS or if the dash light is on, the ABS system is disabled and it will brake like normal
If you unplug the ABS control module under the hood you will still have normal, non abs brakes.

I personally like to remove the entire 4Wabs system from the Gen II trucks, I can pump my own brakes :)
SAves about 25# of junk, makes tons of room under the hood and no more worries about the funky Gen II peddle pumping ABS system

Of course you need to be able to flare your own brake lines and do some funky adapting using the stock parts, add a brass union block and then bye bye ABS. Also I have blacked out the dash light from behind the instrument cluster so the stupid 98+ light out alarm does not sound........

If it's the rear sensor, that's a pretty easy and cheap replacement. Had to do mine last year. You may need to take the vehicle to a shop with a special brake OBDII system to get the reading on which sensor is bad. I think that's what I did, they probably reset the ABS light, so I'm not sure if just replacing the sensor or disconnecting the battery will turn the ABS light off.

Got the reading from the shop and I replaced the rear speed sensor myself for around $20: https://www.autozone.com/brakes-and...st-brake-sensor-abs-su2175/352012_201386_6064

EDIT: regarding the search: It seems some features of the forum are still coming back online after the server downtime.

I have searched here on Explorer Forum but I have not on Google. I really expected to find something having to do with ABS/brakes etc. I even searched my old posts and threads where I have asked questions before and something is not working right.
Now to the question. Can I unplug the power to/haress on my ABS module and the brakes function as if it wasn't equipped with ABS? My ABS light has been on indicating a bad sensor and several days ago I got in an "emergency braking situation" and the brakes locked up as if I didn't have ABS. I don't want to unplug it and create a dangerous situation.
Legally (vehicle safety code) it is designed that if ABS fails 100% (assuming no leaks) you default back to standard brakes. When the light is on the dash, your ABS is pretty much disconnected. With bad inputs, it can't make a decision to operate properly, so it shuts down.

ABS only intervenes if lockup detected. That being said, there are $20 adapters that can read ABS codes with Forscan. You can even see sensor speeds in some cases. I'm not voting to remove any safety devices for these trucks.

Forscan all the way
Not only it will give you the codes for all systems it also tells you what the codes mean
And under $20

If your ABS already isn't working then what do you have to gain by unplugging it?

I posted something about this previously (in a topic, not the starter of the topic) where I had pulled the fuse to my ABS and it did disable ABS (different problem, my ABS was activating at very low speed due to a bad wheel sensor), but apparently that module does something more on certain model years ('98 or newer? I don't know.) because it also caused a check engine light to come on. Whether that took the engine out of closed loop (as some other error codes can do) or not, I should have checked that at the time but didn't think about it, was more concerned with just making sure the check engine code wasn't something more serious.

Anyway, unplugging the ABS module might do the same thing? Though if it's only on '98 or newer 2nd gen then it wouldn't affect yours.

I agree with others, Forscan with an ELM327 dongle can find the sensor if that's the problem.

Back