• Register Today It's free!

Gen 3 ambient air temperature

thammel

Reaction score
City, State
Baltimore, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLS
I have a 20o2 XLS that came without an exterior temp readout. I'd like to retrofit to have one. The dash clearly has the capbility to display ambient temp. And the wiring harness is at the front right radiator support. I bought the ambient temperature sensor hoping it would read this when I pluugged it in. No suchluck. Does anyone know how to make this work?

Thanks,
Tom

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Exterior Temp Mod???

No takers on this one??! For all of us with 2002 or newer Explorers and with the base ones (XLS) with out the exterior temp option, I'm SURE there must be a way to activate it. When you start the car, in the spot where it's supposed to be, you'll see the numbers flash for an instant. The harness at the fron of the radiator is there with a dummy plug instead of the ambient temperature sensor. I bought a new sensor and plugged it in, but no readout appeared. Where are the electronics geniuses on this board to help with this one???

Thanks,
Tom

Just a wild stab but I remember in my older cars when an option wasn't installed the fuse was left out of the fuseblock. I don't know have a look there. I'll go out and look when it warms up. Good luck. On second thought you said that the numbers flash. Hummm...need caffeine

id say its probaly shut off in the computer... kinda how we relfash to delete egr or o2 sensors.... they just have it flashed off ...

if your still under warranty mileage.... id go in and tell them its not working... see what they say ... tell them it worked for a little bit and then you noticed it stopped... you might get them to activate it...

How to re-flash computer

Nope - way out of warranty - a used 2002 XLS. As you say, I doubt that it's th fuse as I see a 188 (degrees sign)F with I think a C overwritten in the spot where the temp is supposed to show. I think the key may be re-flasing the computer to activate this option. Now, where are the electronics experts here who have devised ways to do this on their own??!!

I'm surprised that this has to be done, however. On a prior car, a 1995 Nissan Maxima, I installed the VARIABLE intermittent wiper stalk in place of a fixed intermittent wiper stalk and all worked fine immediately.

Thanks for the help!
Tom

the key chip just matches with the one stored in the computer and the computer "allows" you to start the car.... to reflash the computer ford would have to do it.... it still could be something else though this is just my .02

Any updates on this? I'd be interested in this as well as getting the compass to work.

Nope - haven't gone to the dealer yet to ask re this one. To be honest, I think I'd have to call the engineers in Detroit!!!

Tom

The compass is run off a module that is attached to the rearview mirror. Also, I have a set of buttons on my dash that run the computer and toggle betwen mileage, temperatre etc. If you dont have these buttons then you are probably out of luck. I would also bet there is an extra module in the dash somewhere that controls these functions. You might be able to get the buttone etc off a junkyard explorer.

Also, when I was shopping for my ex, the ones that didnt display temperature had a smaller information window in the dash than the ones that did, so you might have to replace the intrument clusters too.

Also, this information only pertains to the 2005 model, different years might be different.

Back