General V8 swap and other questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

General V8 swap and other questions

srider

Reaction score
City, State
Shawnee, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I currently have a 94 XLT 4x4 that I’ve owned for the last 6 years. I never take my Explorer off-road; it is used mostly for bad weather and occasional towing. I really enjoy my Explorer, but I’m starting to think about swapping in a V8. I would really like the extra power when towing or even trying to pass on the highway. Now I have some cost concerns and questions.

1. My Explorer seems to have the front-end vibration worse than any I know of. I’ve replaced the RA bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints, sway bar bushings and had the wheels balanced. It’s not bad, but I have to be diligent about maintaining the front end or it can get unbearable. If I swapped in a V8, do you think it would:
a) Get rid of or lessen the front-end vibrations.
b) Increase the front-end vibrations.
c) Have no effect on the front-end vibrations.

2. Because of the cost and time involved in maintaining the front end, and the cost and time of converting to a V8, I was thinking of buying a 96 or 97 with a V8.
a) How does the ride of a 96-97 compare to a 94, specifically is there the front-end vibration?
b) How is the reliability of the AWD system? Any major expenses in repairing or maintaining?
c) Is there a better year than 96 or 97?

3. How about other options for increasing power?
a) Is it possible to rebuild the 4.0L V6 and increase its power substantially to around 250 horsepower?
b) Would swapping a 4.0L SOHC motor, transmission, computer, etc from a 1996-2001 be a better idea than a V8?
c) Has anyone installed the BBK supercharger and do you enjoy it or is it still not enough?

1) I haven't much clue about your front end vibes, but have you had it aligned?

2) Getting a newer X with the V8 would be a better option then the swap IMO. You'd like the AWD for your uses (towing/weather), it would work very well for you. 1997 is probably better than 96, newer usually is. It will ride much better than your 94.

3) The 4.0 OHV is a good motor. There are 2 major ways to build it up to high hp: rebuild with hi-po parts, supercharger, or both. You probably have a high # of miles on your truck due to the age. I wouldn't supercharge a motor over 60k miles without a rebuild. You can rebuild the OHV with many parts from Vanir to produce about 230 at the crank. This is an estimate based on results of other owners. A SOHC swap would be a major PITA, you'd be better off getting a newer X. I think you'll like the V8 better than the SOHC anyway.

I have the BBK charger and love it. I have around 270 hp at the crank. The truck really moves. Compared to the engine swap, the install is easy. Overall, I've put about $5000 into performance parts and installation in my truck. While it doesn't literally blow your mind, it is quick. 0-60 in the mid to high 6s and the 1/4 in 15.76 @ 87. That was my last visit to the track. Since then it's a bit faster. It's best performance is in acceleration from about 20 to 90, or anywhere above 20 to 90. In roll-ons, I have most vehicles beat (except a BPU Supra or something). Though since it is a truck, it doesn't have much above 100, and stops at 110.

Good luck!

BTW, use the search engine to search for "BBK" with the username "Alec" in the mods forum, for the last 2 years.

Alec,

Thanks for the info. I've also had my Explorer aligned, but the front end vibration seems to be some inherent problem caused by production variances that affects some Explorers, but not all. Mine just seems to be the worst of the ones affected.

My Explorer does have a 140K on it and I would rebuild it before I added a supercharger. Right now I'm at the point were I would like to spend around $5,000 or $6,000 fixing it up. So I'm trying to decide if it is worth it to fix up my 94 or if I should upgrade to what should be a better platform. I stated I was looking for a 96 or 97 because they are the least expensive models with a V8 and I'm assuming all 96-01 have the same suspension. Let me know if I'm wrong and Ford updated something during 96-01.

i was talking to a friend the other day who jsut got a custum built 454. i t has all kinds of hi performance parts. the motor and the install (keep in mind this is on a older model gmc p/u) was 7k. The block was grabbed from the junyard but everything else was built from scratch with new parts. just for kicks i asked him roughly how much a swap in would be for my explorer using a prebuilt 302 from summit (3k) he said probably around 1k if the tranny was ready. so i figure another 1.5k on a tranny. so im already in the 6k range.

getting a 4.0 rebuilt i was quoted 1.2k for a general rebuild. so im thinking a rebuild and a supercharger is in the 4.5k range. im going to have to wait at least a year or until the motor goes (it has 130k on it now.) maybe i can get my insurance company to pay for a rebuild then i can swing the supercharger.

Back